Liddle L Spoon Thoughts

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by aloha73, Oct 5, 2019.

1. aloha73

aloha73 Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    LA, CA
    Anyone riding a Liddle L Spoon? I picked one up last month (9'4) and am trying to wrap my head around it. Not a hull, not a log. Seems like it needs some juice to come alive. Slip slides a lot in the wave and is very loose off the tail. I'm not used to lighter longboards so it feels like it's not gliding like a lot of my other boards do. Would love to hear what others think of this model. I ride mostly point breaks in so cal.
    IMG_2232.jpeg

2. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Paging Chappy... He loves his. So do a few guys here in NC. My friend B had his out couple weeks back on a big day for here and that board was a rocket.

Andrew Johnson and DJR like this.
  3. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I have no experience with the modern Liddle Designs L Spoons, but do a have a couple of 80's L Spoons. Yes, not a hull as I had no luck trying to drive thru turns with my front foot. Also not a log or noserider, I'd say they are turning longboards. And I think that fin size, style and placement matters a lot more on a turning board than a noserider. I had the opposite experience, I found both of mine to be too stiff for what I wanted to do. I replaced the standard stiff 9' fins with flex fins and that really helped a lot to loosen up the board. I tried various flex fins and kept moving them forward in the box. I ended up with a 4A all the way forward and that has been magic for me. If you find the board too loose, maybe try the opposite of what I did. I agree, they don't glide like a log, but they do glide much better than a Yater Spoon which has more nose rocker. And they do go better in more powerful waves.

4. aloha73

aloha73 Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    LA, CA
    Thanks for the reply garagefull. I have a 9.5 Liddle Flex Fin in there now in the middle of the box. I'll try my 4A in there and see what it does.