leader or not leader

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Guest, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

In the wrong hands, surfboards and hallucinogens are nothing more than high-tech blow-up dolls. In my exeperience,skilled wave riding and psychic exploration take a lot more than free time and privacy.

For me, asking, listening, and reading is usually the best first step in any journey (though, almost miraculously, masturb8tion came naturally). I'm only now into my third winter with this sport, and without experienced and helpful guides in my local community and online, I'd probably just be making planes out of bamboo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Some threads are obviously un-serious (ahem), but I at least glance at them all.

Pete

Attached files
    [​IMG]

2. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Delaware
    The various negative forms which consciousness adopts, the attitude of skepticism, and that of theoretical and practical idealism, are inferior attitudes compared with that of pure insight and the expansion of pure insight-enlightenment; for pure insight is born of the substance of spirit, it knows the pure self of consciousness to be absolute, and enters into conflict with the pure consciousness of the Absolute Being of all reality.

Since belief and insight are the same pure consciousness, but in form are opposed — the reality in the case of belief being a thought, not a notion, and hence something absolutely opposed to self-consciousness, while the reality in the case of pure insight is the self — they are such that inter se the one is the absolute negative of the other.

As appearing the one against the other, all content falls to belief; for in its unperturbed element of thought every moment obtains definite subsistence. Pure insight, however, is in the first instance without any content; it is rather the sheer disappearance of content; but by its negative attitude towards what it excludes it will make itself real and give itself a content.

3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    skeeter wrote:
    Does she walk? Does she talk? Does she walk? Does she talk? Does she come complete? Does she come complete? My homeroom homeroom angel My homeroom homeroom angel Always pulled me from my seat Always pulled me from my seat

She was pure like snowflakes She was pure like snowflakes No one could ever stain No one could ever stain The memory of my angel The memory of my angel Could never cause me pain Could never cause me pain

Years go by I'm lookin' through Years go by I'm lookin' through A girly magazine A girly magazine And there's my homeroom angel And there's my homeroom angel On the pages in between On the pages in between

My blood runs cold My blood runs cold My memory has just been sold My memory has just been sold My angel is the centerfold My angel is the centerfold Angel is the centerfold Angel is the centerfold

My blood runs cold My blood runs cold My memory has just been sold My memory has just been sold My angel is the centerfold My angel is the centerfold Angel is the centerfold Angel is the centerfold

Slipped me notes under the desk Slipped me notes under the desk While I was thinkin' about her dress While I was thinkin' about her dress I was shy I turned away I was shy I turned away (Aah) (Aah) Before she caught my eye Before she caught my eye

I was shakin' in my shoes I was shakin' in my shoes (Aah) (Aah) Whenever she flashed those baby blues Whenever she flashed those baby blues Something had a hold on me Something had a hold on me (Aah) (Aah) When angel passed close by When angel passed close by

Those soft and fuzzy sweaters Those soft and fuzzy sweaters Too magical to touch Too magical to touch Too see her in that negligee Too see her in that negligee Is really just too much Is really just too much

My blood runs cold My blood runs cold Yea my memory has just been sold Yea my memory has just been sold My angel is the centerfold My angel is the centerfold Angel is the centerfold Angel is the centerfold

My blood runs cold My blood runs cold My memory has just been sold My memory has just been sold Oh yeah, angel is the centerfold Oh yeah, angel is the centerfold

Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na

{Now listen} {Now listen}

It's okay I understand It's okay I understand This ain't no never never land This ain't no never never land I hope that when this issue's gone I hope that when this issue's gone I'll see you when your clothes are on I'll see you when your clothes are on

Take you car, yes we will Take you car, yes we will We'll take your car and drive it We'll take your car and drive it We'll take it to a motel room We'll take it to a motel room And take 'em off in private And take 'em off in private

A part of me has just been ripped A part of me has just been ripped The pages from my mind are stripped The pages from my mind are stripped Oh no, I can't deny it Oh no, I can't deny it Oh yea, I guess I gotta buy it Oh yea, I guess I gotta buy it

Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na Alright alright Alright alright One two three four One two three four Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na Na na na na na na na na na

Ho my blood runs cold Ho my blood runs cold My memory has just been sold My memory has just been sold My angel is the centerfold My angel is the centerfold Angel is the centerfold Angel is the centerfold

4. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Delaware
    Hahahaha! Peak, on some level we are saying the same things.

5. blackmountain

blackmountain New Member

Sep 29, 2006
    USA New Hampshire
    wow. hard acts to follow.

I can't help but think this thread is at least partially directed toward me. I have asked for feedback on several boards lately.

In a more perfect world I would love to just go try sh+t. but life is complicated. and expensive. and free time is hard to come by. the reality is I cannot try all the boards I'd like. a new board is a fairly rare luxury and a treat. I want to spend my money well.

I ask questions here because this board's members have a depth of experience that I will never come by by myself. Although I have been surfing off and on for 30+ years, it is off and on. I am a weekend warrior with a taste for nice boards.

Noone will be able to tell me if a board will be a jewel for me. But others can tell if a board has worked, or not worked, for them in local conditions. Or, if a label is known to have consistent problems with their boards, with problem glassing for instance.

I liked this line:
    bewilderment is a consequence of the nature of surfing.

Sometimes bewilderment is a consequence of the nature of life.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

well said blackmountain. surf what you like and ignore the negativity.

7. kielsun

kielsun Member

Mar 8, 2012
    USA Maine
    blackmountain wrote:
    Exactly.

8. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    +1 to blackmountain. I've never ordered or owned a new longboard. That's most likely due to my geography. If I could drive to a shaper and order a board, then pick up that board when it is done...I'd likely have gone through that process. But it is also a matter of priorities. I'm a single income family man. At the end of the day, surfboards are luxuries. I have many of them and do not really NEED another one. My oldest just turned 16, so cars and college are in my immediate future. At my current financial level, $600 is a much easier purchase than $2000. Even if I set aside money every week to add up to $2000, would that money be best spent on a toy for myself or for my family? That's a personal question and there's probably no universal right or wrong answer.

Talking with others whose opinion I value (like gnar, stef, veterano, smukes) hopefully shortens the learning curve and increases the likelihood that I get it right the first or second time vs the 10th or 12th. Also, discussing surfboards is fun and kind of one of the reasons I come to this site. Actually it is the main reason.

9. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    For some of us, it's hard to put into words what we like about a board or explain it how we want to. I have read posts about boards on here that have been fairly accurate to what I experience on a board and others that are far off. We are all at different levels of ability and have varied styles of surfing. I don't think the point of this thread was too put anyone down for asking he question, but as I said before, to encourage you to try the board and form an opinion for yourself and not be influenced by others. If anyone wants to experience any board I own, please do so. That's what they are meant for. I let the two Jersey boys try a couple of my boards last weekend while they were here. One rode my Gold Standard and had a completely different experience than me on it, where as the other rode my 10' Simmons and had a similar feeling on the board. What I'm getting at is that asking for input can be good, but experiencing it on your own is the best. I know we have a pretty good abundance of boards where I'm at and many of the forum members will let you try them, as it is hard to throw money down on a board that you are not sure about. I'm sure it's no different on the other coast.