Lasik and Surfing

MeatHeadDeath

Mar 10, 2021
SF Bay Area
Update:

I had the Lasik procedure done at the beginning of July. Before the surgery, I could not see clearly past the distance of my outstretched arm. After the surgery, I tested at 20/20. The first week of healing was really rough: foggy vision, fluctuating vision, foreign body sensitivity, light sensitivity, and eye fatigue. During this time, ff a friend had asked me should they get the procedure, I would have said, "no," because I felt like I exchanged my near sight for far sight (I could not read a book or focus on objects close by). I even found myself regretting the surgery, but the surgeon and the aftercare team reassured that my vision would return and reminded me that it can take 1-3 months for my vision to settle.

Everyday after the surgery, my eyes have gotten better with the above complaints all but going away - still have a bit of eye fatigue doing computer work and light sensitivity outdoors. I went surfing for the first time two weeks after the procedure: 1) The ocean is so healing 2) The best way I can describe my new vision in the water is what I once was only able to see close up, I can now see far away. During my session, I found myself just watching the ripples, water chop, and the curl of the waves as they rolled in, formed, and crashed. Pretty wild and here is to hoping that I don't take my new vision for granted.

Thanks again, everyone, for the input about your experiences.

Last edited:

Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
France
Update:

I had the Lasik procedure done at the beginning of July. Before the surgery, I could not see clearly past the distance of my outstretched arm. After the surgery, I tested at 20/20. The first week of healing was really rough: foggy vision, fluctuating vision, foreign body sensitivity, light sensitivity, and eye fatigue. During this time, If a friend has asked me should they get the procedure, I would have said, "no," because I felt like I had exchanged my near sight for far sight (I could not read a book or focus on objects close by). I even found my self regretting the surgery, but the surgeon and the aftercare team reassured that my vision would return and reminded me that it can take 1-3 months for my vision to settle.

Everyday after the surgery, my eyes have gotten better with the above complaints all but going away - still have a bit of eye fatigue doing computer work and light sensitivity outdoors. I went surfing for the first time two weeks after the procedure: 1) The ocean is so healing 2) The best way I can describe my new vision in the water is what I once was only able to see close up, I can now see far away. During my session, I found myself just watching the ripples, water chop, and the curl of the waves as they rolled in, formed, and crashed. Pretty wild and here is to hoping that I don't take my new vision for granted.

So stoked for you, that sounds like an amazing experience. Enjoy your new world!

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
He
Update:

I had the Lasik procedure done at the beginning of July. Before the surgery, I could not see clearly past the distance of my outstretched arm. After the surgery, I tested at 20/20. The first week of healing was really rough: foggy vision, fluctuating vision, foreign body sensitivity, light sensitivity, and eye fatigue. During this time, ff a friend had asked me should they get the procedure, I would have said, "no," because I felt like I exchanged my near sight for far sight (I could not read a book or focus on objects close by). I even found myself regretting the surgery, but the surgeon and the aftercare team reassured that my vision would return and reminded me that it can take 1-3 months for my vision to settle.

Hey, I'm glad you went for it!