Lasik and Surfing

MeatHeadDeath

Mar 10, 2021
SF Bay Area
Curious how much the procedure costs now?

Yeah I’ve been meaning to do this for a long time. This thread might push me over the edge
Thanks, everyone. Your testimonies about the long term success of the surgery was very hopeful. I scheduled for early July -- fingers crossed. As for price, I am luckily enough to have family member who works in the profession and they connected me to a surgeon who helping a brother out.

Last edited:

Ripple Rider

Aug 23, 2008
I had the procedure performed at the London Vision Clinic in January 2008. The difference was amazing. Left eye corrected to 20/12 and right eye corrected to 20/16.

I didn't experience night time star bursts or halos - so I count myself lucky in that regard. It couldn't have gone any better and I only wish I had done it a few years earlier.

RobG814

Apr 27, 2020
North Carolina
I had it done a few years ago. Got sick of losing contacts in the water, especially on barreling days I would always lose one. Best decision I ever made! I would suggest doing your research and going to the best place near you, not all lasik is equal. I drove about 3 hours to get mine done by one of the top places on the east coast. They do a lot of pro athletes, etc.

Going rate is about $1500 per eye so about $3000 total. The procedure takes less than 10 minutes and I was back in the water in about 3 weeks. Highly recommended!

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
I have always been dubious about it, but that is probably just my own paranoia. I am pretty much blind without my glasses, but I am use to them. I never liked contact lenses so when I paddled out, I couldn't see very well at all. When it comes to your eyes, there is too much to lose if something goes wrong. Maybe my opinion is in the stone ages but I don't see the need at this time in my life so it is not on my horizon.

Langbort

Apr 25, 2021
I had it done five years ago. I opted to have PRK instead of the Lasik procedure, as there is a small chance you can tear the "flap" created during the Lasik procedure. Procedure was fine, recovery a few weeks until normal. Have had no issues with vision, only complaint is sensitivity during night driving. Would totally recommend.

aporta

Nov 15, 2019
Brooklyn
I had it done 4 years ago here in Brooklyn. For me, was a work decision, and has been a huge improvement. Quality of life, job, recreation is way up. The doctor I went to was recommended by coworkers and other people in emergency field. Was able to get a discount as FDNY, so depending on occupation can maybe get a break. They also have a 7 year free correction policy.
Also, I got it at 32, and the doctor said by 40 lost patients need reading glasses. Haven’t had any issues yet.