Kick out

Dawnpatrol

May 7, 2006
PNW
I tried this years ago Lance on a shortboard at Ano sans leash. The out coming wasn't pretty as I was unceremoniously pitched back over the wave onto the beach! I never had the courage to try this again. My back pain comes back pain every time I think about this little episode!

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
crowded lineup.jpg

Dawnpatrol

May 7, 2006
PNW
Don, this is why I get out of the water at the Boneyard by 7am on the weekday if its this good. Worse than a traffic jam on the 405!

Lustro

Jul 25, 2021
San Carlos, CA
Bumping an old thread. Found this while searching for kickout posts.

So how does one actually do a proper regular kickout? Any good examples or even how-tos out there I could look at?
Same for the "Island" version.

(I think I know what the "fly away" version is [something I saw in a video] but that doesn't seem too safe where I surf LOL)

I dusted off the log for the summer and have been riding it leash-less on tiny days and away from people. If it starts getting bigger/crowded I just leave. Currently I'll just straighten out if a wave is closing out and then sit down and spin around when the whitewater dies down. Or I'll just "hit the brakes" with my tail and let the wave roll past me when I'm done. Once in a while, if I have speed, I'll just sorta do a bottom turn but keep turning over the top of the wave.

I'd like to be a "cut above" all the schlubs with leashes I see using their board like a yoyo. Funny, in all this time surfing that beach, I've only seen one guy do what I would guess is the "proper" kickout, but I'm not sure. He would end his ride with his rear foot on the tail. Nose up, he would just sort of twist and the board would go in his hands and in a split second he's paddling back out again. Perfect every time. That stuck with me, and I tried to do it last summer but was never able to.

Eh_frame

Dec 31, 2020
NJ
PSA...
kick out, I know it’s tempting to let the yo-yo cord do all the work but:
1. It looks better than just jumping off
2. No, you didn’t kick out
3. Thanks for dinging a new board and then denying anything happened
4. From the looks of your car, it appears you drive as badly as you surf

The following are acceptable:
Regular old kick out
Switch foot kick out
Flyaway kickout
Standing island kickout

Off to do some ding repair... I feel better now
My couch kicks out, but I don’t
-That guy, probably

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
I had a scary moment at terra mar yesterday from somebody not knowing how to kick out. While paddling back to the line up after catching a nice right. A person was riding a wave. I was well out of their way and over to the shoulder / close out area. They did not know how to get out and stayed in the wave too long and lost control as it closed out. It was only 3'-4' but they decide to just jump off the board backwards and just kick it forward at a 45 degree angle. 9' board and 9' leash i thought i was well clear but that board came like a rocket at me in the white water.

i did sort or a turtle roll put the board at a blocking angle and held on. The board missed me but due to the weird angle, the white wash took my board out of my hands. Me no leash, and of course it was that perfect setup where my board was planing in the wash now and probably went in a solid 130yds back to shore.

So i got an extra swim to get it which sucked, and the board got a ding from hitting the reef on the inside.

I did not say anything to the perpetrator after i paddled back out. I am pretty sure she was oblivious to the situation. But it for sure put a bit of a damper on a part of my session.

Anyway yes the kickout is essential. I go back and forth with leash and no leash depending on board and conditions. But like others said I naturally from habbit kick out when i have a leash on as well.

I will say my kickout is a bit ugly. I just turn over the back of the wave and step off my board and get back on. I have yet to figure out how to do the longboard kick out where you really swing it out and the board comes up to you and you sort of naturally land in the paddle position.

be safe

stopchewingplease

May 1, 2021
SoCal
I had a scary moment at terra mar yesterday from somebody not knowing how to kick out. While paddling back to the line up after catching a nice right. A person was riding a wave. I was well out of their way and over to the shoulder / close out area. They did not know how to get out and stayed in the wave too long and lost control as it closed out. It was only 3'-4' but they decide to just jump off the board backwards and just kick it forward at a 45 degree angle. 9' board and 9' leash i thought i was well clear but that board came like a rocket at me in the white water.

i did sort or a turtle roll put the board at a blocking angle and held on. The board missed me but due to the weird angle, the white wash took my board out of my hands. Me no leash, and of course it was that perfect setup where my board was planing in the wash now and probably went in a solid 130yds back to shore.

So i got an extra swim to get it which sucked, and the board got a ding from hitting the reef on the inside.

I did not say anything to the perpetrator after i paddled back out. I am pretty sure she was oblivious to the situation. But it for sure put a bit of a damper on a part of my session.

Anyway yes the kickout is essential. I go back and forth with leash and no leash depending on board and conditions. But like others said I naturally from habbit kick out when i have a leash on as well.

I will say my kickout is a bit ugly. I just turn over the back of the wave and step off my board and get back on. I have yet to figure out how to do the longboard kick out where you really swing it out and the board comes up to you and you sort of naturally land in the paddle position.

be safe
This same scenario happened to me last year. One of the scariest moments as I was super close to the dude and on his right, he straightened out but then shot the board (9ft plus with 9ft plus leash) right at me instead of straight ahead. I was leashless and didn’t want to die or ding my board so I tried pushing my board away over the whitewater and ducking under. I didn’t get hit, board was okay…. But I resurfaced and my board was surfing itself towards the cobbles. Luckily someone saw it happen and caught my board for me so it saved a swim and repairs.

Still working on my own kick/pull outs.

thirdwave

Mar 17, 2021
Los Angeles
Been working on my kick outs a lot lately and getting go to the point where i can turn and catch my board and then keep paddling at least some of the time but i never seem to know what to do with my front foot. Do y’all step back with the front foot? Lift it with the turn? Or do what i do and kind of flop it to the side while you whip the board? Maybe im overthinking this but I feel like I’m missing something! Thoughts?