key storage (again)

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Can't go wrong, unless a bad wipe out knocks it loose.

Patrick Riley likes this.
  2. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Not a single week goes by without the local crime report including at least one idiot who thought putting their keys on a bumper or tire was a good idea. Most electronic keys include a removable valet key, so no matter what I'm driving, I always keep a key around my neck inside my wetsuit. If the electronics won't let you lock the main key inside, just put it in some aluminum foil and out of sight.

kclibman likes this.
  3. SDBoardHoarder

SDBoardHoarder Active Member

Sep 28, 2018
    San Diego
    Just bought one off those tow-hitch lockboxes after seeing a bunch of guys at torrey pines use 'em... things a dream.

Artz likes this.
  4. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    MIssion Viejo, California
    I will admit that what I do is overkill, primarily from my bike security approach. My van has a transponder (chip) key; this has made it easier. But it would also work with a RF keyfob with a separate door key.

Supposedly a chip key can get wet, but I have not taken the chance and with my luck I would lose it in the water. I use a combination dial lock box, not the 3/4 wheel ones (those seem to be pretty easy to pick). Looks like this...

Dial Lock Box.jpg
    There is a youtube of someone picking it, but then he gives tips on how to set a combination. I put a "NON" chip key in the lock box. Can defeat this and then get into the car but not drive it.

Inside the car I use this...
    Gun Vault Outside.jpg

The chain is secured inside the gun vault with a shackle. The vault uses a Simplex lock, which can be figured out with enough time. Inside I put my wallet, phone, chip key (or keyless fob in RF secure pouch). I have since painted the outside primer gray (the pink one was $35 cheaper). It also works well for its intended purpose.

Someone can get through this, but I'm hoping they'll just go to the car with the magnetic key holder.

John

DanSan and dsquare like this.
  5. BoardDesign

BoardDesign Member

Mar 14, 2007
    USA
    My new van came with four electronic keys, I sacrificed one.. it’s my surfing key. I lock my good key in the car and put my surfing key in my wetsuit. I used to do random key hiding and luckily never got caught slippin!

joeblackuz likes this.
  6. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I have a similar lock box. The one you have look a lot cleaner l like the touch button as opposed to the rotter combination on mine.

7. Salinity

Salinity Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Holy crap - that's some top level security. [redacted due to high number of lurkers - can’t trust lurkers]

I drive a last decade car, but for those with newer vehicles, can't you get a non chip key made to keep on you (to at least open your vehicle when you get out of the water)?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  8. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    MIssion Viejo, California
    I have a non-chip key I put in the combo lock box.

Yeah it’s overkill. Used to be a time when you could leave the car unlocked at SanO.

John

9. zippy

zippy Active Member

Mar 24, 2008
    USA New Jersey
    Thinking of getting the door handle lockbox. As far as the trailer hitch locks go, they seem easy to break into. After getting out of the water one day in the winter, I noticed the person parked in front me standing in his wetsuit by his car and when I asked him if he was okay he said the box was jammed. It took me less than 5 min. to pry it open with channel locks and pliers.