Kauai (This Summer) Looking for Advice Re: Longboarding

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by KDenning, Apr 2, 2019.

1. KDenning

KDenning Active Member

May 14, 2015
    The girlfriend and I are planning to go to Kauai for 7-8 days this summer and we're looking for advice from fellow Jammers regarding where to stay/surf.

We're very flexible at this point (early stages of planning) so we'd like to make at least half of the trip (if not the whole trip) surfing-centric.

We both only longboard, looking for a mellow log wave in June or July, preferably a left or at least an a split peak. We live in Ventura so we've had enough rights all year.

If anyone has ANY recommendations regarding Kauai at all please feel free to share!

Also board and car rental recommendations needed if anyone has first hand experience.

Thanks in advance,
    Kirk

2. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Following, planning to do the same this summer.

3. aqualung

aqualung Member

Jun 16, 2010
    USA California
    I was there for a week in Kapa'a a few years back in September. Tamba surf is where I rented a board, then surfed several places.For sure check out Infinities at Pakala beach down south,really nice lefts and rights and there is usually something breaking there.

4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    There are probably other guys that are more qualified to make recommendations, but we went to Kauai in August of 2017. We loved it. Especially after having spent a couple days in bustling Waikiki, Kauai was so much more our speed in terms of peace and quiet, natural beauty, and pure relaxation. We rented a condo in Poipu (Nihi Kai Villas). It was nice having a condo just to feel more at home as compared to a regular hotel. (Note: If A/C is important to you, make sure you pay attention to whether or not your place has it. Ours didn't and it was sweltering.) One of the things we loved the most was making breakfast and coffee to enjoy on the lanai each morning and soaking in the view. I did all my surfing in Waikiki, so no firsthand surfing experience on Kauai. We snorkeled a bunch and had a close encounter with a friendly sea turtle at Haena Beach that was nothing short of amazing. We took a helicopter tour of the island and Napali coast, which should be on everyone's bucket list. Our particular tour company had music playing through the headphones, which was a really nice touch. If you're into hiking, we did the Awa'awapuhi Trail and admittedly wouldn't do it again -- the first half is fine being all downhill, but the return trip is all uphill with a 1300' climb back up. Talk about a puffer!!! (And coming back to a nice hot condo sure didn't provide any relief. Hahaha.) We'd probably opt for a hike with a waterfall or something instead. Overall, we had a wonderful time. Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    KDenning likes this.
  5. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Look for places in Kapa'a. It is "in the middle" of the east side of the island and , as such, makes trips to the north and south a little quicker.

6. Nilus

Nilus Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2008
    I'm hardly an expert, but we were there this past November. Mostly surfed Hanalei (and a few other spots on the north shore), which won't help you much in the summer. However, we did catch some small out-of-season lines at Infinities two different days and I would tell you to go there for sure. On a smaller day, it would be the perfect logging left. Also a beautiful beach. Personally, I want to go back just to see it break on a proper day. And that's coming from someone who NEVER gets tired of 805 rights. =^)

Driving up that west side would also reveal a lot of other fun little spots and nice beaches with waves that time of year. I thought Waimea and some of the other little zones over there had such a cool, sleepy vibe. You should also be sure to stop at Ambrose's place in Kapa'a.

Foodwise, definitely Wishing Well shave ice if you go up north and/or Wailua shave ice in Kapa'a. Plenty of info on other food stops in a couple online articles, including this one ...
    https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/must-try-kauai-street-eats pop-ups-and-food-trucks

KDenning likes this.
  7. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Touch bases with dsquare here at the Forum. He lives there and probably can provide some insight. I love the island but it has changed over time (what hasn't huh?). The traffic from Lihue to Kapaa can be a nightmare. I'd stay away from that area. I'm sure there maybe some lighter traffic windows through that area, d could probably provide some insight.

8. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Yep almost forgot about Ambrose. If he's still around? The guy is a total character and used to have tons of boards to rent cheaply. Super helpful in directing ya to the surf. Pretty much an institution on the Island.

Good call Nilus!

Surfnfish likes this.
  9. longhairhippie

longhairhippie Active Member

Mar 31, 2011
    USA
    DSquare probably has the goods you are looking for.
    I went to Kauai 6 years ago and stayed in Kapa'a for the reasons dingpatch mentioned. I "borrowed" a board from Ambrose (if you're a member of swaylocks this name should be familiar). He's a character that was fun just talking story with. Surfed around Hanalei Bay, Kalapaki, & Poipu. We hiked, took a helicopter ride & took a boat ride along the Napili coast. Hiked everyday highlights were Queen's bath (might be closed now?) & Hoopii Falls. SUPed along the Wailua river. If you like being outdoors there is no shortage of things to do & see on Kauai.

dsquare likes this.
  10. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalapaki Beach where all the tourist ships dock (down the hill from Lihue airport) is a pretty fun longboard wave and lots of turtles mulling about. I surfed it a few time during the winter years ago. I was was told its a summer spot. it was waist to hh all the days I was there. its a bay. On the bigger days there was a fun left on the inside and a nice right lining up off a jetty on the other side.

have fun
    jealous
    you wont want to come back
    I know I didnt
    why am I
    writing
    like Dan
    San