Just venting about mailing/shipping costs, , , , ,

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by dingpatch, May 12, 2019.

1. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    I know that we do talk a lot about the costs and methods of shipping boards. But, I don't ship boards, only fins here.

Anyway, from-time-to-time I get a hassle from a "customer" (nobody from Jamboards, yet) about the "cost of mailing/shipping" fins and other sundries. I guess that I would have to say that there are more than a few folks out in the wild who do not know that you can't mail a letter for a quarter anymore! I only use the USPS because UPS is a hassle for me and otherwise cost the same or more and I already have a USPS Click-N-Ship account. AND, the USPS sends me FREE Priority Mail boxes!

So, yesterday's typical example, which was NOT a fin but used the same size box and approximate weight: A two (2) pound box. The guy was giving me a very solid WTF? about the postage cost. Hmmmmmmm, well OK guy, here's the deal, , , , my cost, after discount, for this insured Priority Mail Regional Rate A box to you in Oakland, CA, with "2 Day" delivery, is $11.20. Well sure, that may in fact seem to be a lot but, guess what? The "snail mail" cost is $10.56, no insurance, and you'll probably receive it sometime this month, and I'd have to buy a plain box just for you! He was still upset, thinking that it should only cost "a couple of dollars". He paid but, was not happy.

2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    USPS is excellent for the small light items we both ship. I usually charge actual cost for shipping as it sounds like you probably do. We both know that in many cases ordering items online results in vendors nearly doubling their their cost so making a profit on shipping too. UGH! Most likely the customer’s irritation comes from them being brainwashed by continual adds saying “everything ships for free”. IMO your strategy is the right one. Provide exceptional value and get it to the customer for a fee. Keep making functional art!

Chilly Willy and DJR like this.
  3. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    There arent any waves in oakland...hes a koooook..ha

I guess he thinks you're amazon..

pursuitofnow and Dawnpatrol like this.
  4. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Sounds like it all worked out. At least you won't have to deal with him again.

5. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Excellent point....

6. EricM

EricM Member

Jan 11, 2016
    USA California
    Maybe charge more for the item and offer *free shipping*. Lol

7. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    dp, people like that are clueless! Postage is what it is! And the USPS is still the most solid, efficient and cost effective way to insure a package or a letter is going to get to someone. One of the last American institutions that still works!

8. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Of course you could alway raise the price of your fins and then say Free Shipping.
    When I had my Gallery my biggest pain in the ass was shipping. Try shipping a $24,000 Painting from Utah to New York the Box alone is close to $100.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Legitimant rant. People used to drive me nuts with that as well, often with a certain sense of entitlement when they purchase something from you. That's one thing I don't miss about having a business. That and the all-to-frequent whining about costs for gloss, etc... What? You want an extra 50 euros to gloss and polish a longboard? You could break it down however you like, by hours, in terms of consumables, and a few of them would still think they were getting ripped off "just" for you to make it shine like a mirror.

Keep doing what you do, good sir!

SeniorGrom likes this.
  10. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    For some reason most surfers think they should get a ‘bro deal’. Also the condition of the boards I see that come in for repairs is absolutely horrendous. Seems many have zero appreciation for equipment (baked in the sun, sand everywhere, wax all over the bottom, stored outoors, silicone or wax in holes, on and on. Good for me I guess but cleaning the board is half the battle. Local ding repair pro told me he will NEVER undervalue his work again after a grom’s Mom chewed him out on the beach for charging her poor young Son too much. Oh I forgot this thread is about shipping. Many times I offer Free Delivery!

Driftwood and PeakMaster like this.