Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey
I've not had the chance to surf a flex tail, but Tristan was talking about the importance to finding a match between the amount of flex and the specific break intended. I don't know to what degree, but too flexy and it can bog in the cutback, too stiff and it can snap back too early. Goldilocks. Curious if you think this might contribute to it not feeling right @Skusty ?
As per the first couple waves it does almost feel more snowboarding ish? In other words instead of relying on my back leg to turn you can apply less pressure and the flex in the tail almost guides you into. It is weird to get used to. Mistakenly stepped on it a few times just for a sec. But all in all so far its treated me well

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
i often wax poetic about Klaus’s work on here but can’t help but throw this in the mix per the convo about beach break friendly hulls. He calls this one the rubber biscuit- it’s still new and in the works according to him but it’s his attempt at marrying a twin fin and hull and ultimately something that can handle beach break or less than ideal hull waves.

Belly entry and soft rails front 2/3 of the board into a deep channel thru the fins with a hard edge out the tail that starts before the fins. Centered wide point. S deck. The best part is the super narrow base high aspect fins- keeping the fins the same or similar template as your go to hull keeps them in the water more than a keel and also forces you to keep turning off the rail rather than having pushing hard off the fins. Aka you still surf this the same as a hull off your front foot…but the caveat is a more nimble board that can make quicker directional changes than a hull- like beach breaks usually require.

Mine is 6’8” and can’t recommend these enough! Plan on having him a make a removable fin version one day for travel.
Siglo twinnie would be crackerjacks. Or a twinzer. Getting real Island of Dr Moreau shit now…. I wonder how the glass on version will di
Looking forward to the ride report !
Swell here showed in some size but was a bit disappointing for conditions however last Saturday morning I was able to get a good couple of hours in the drift

this board is faaaast
Checks the obvious boxes - great stability easy paddle

What I truly love so far and keep in mind this was not an easy fast down the line wave but a bigger sectioned and eventually depth charge closeouts was the quick maneuverability in evasive maneuvers - cosmic hull trim speed and then when needed before absolute whitewater Atlantic destruction hard turn and keep on through the inside sections I’m more than impressed and straight stoked and look forward to another board at some point
The key to that hull based session being a good one is definitely in the mix of hull and fish DNA - it does the job in rough Atlantic water
Looking forward to another go

lashSD

Apr 24, 2021
San Diego
All this talk of multi finned hulls got me thinking, was hard to wrap my head around what that would even feel like, and I remembered seeing a post that Bird Rock surf shop had some Trimcraft Power Cats delivered some time back. Went in to fondle and accidentally walked out with this 6'10". Rails feel great, nice and pinched. Can't wait to get it wet!

Have no idea how to fin this thing. Any thoughts? I only have a shit load of keel fins but that feels like too much area on a tail like this.

Attachments

• IMG_9077.jpg
    IMG_9077.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9079.jpg
    IMG_9079.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 60

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
All this talk of multi finned hulls got me thinking, was hard to wrap my head around what that would even feel like, and I remembered seeing a post that Bird Rock surf shop had some Trimcraft Power Cats delivered some time back. Went in to fondle and accidentally walked out with this 6'10". Rails feel great, nice and pinched. Can't wait to get it wet!

Have no idea how to fin this thing. Any thoughts? I only have a shit load of keel fins but that feels like too much area on a tail like this.
Happy accidents are the love potion of the universe

Maybe an upright keel as it were. A hybrid. Can’t hurt to just start throwing a set of what you’ve got in and go go go

Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey

Sunrise Boardworks makes some crazy flex twin set ups that would be interesting. They are on a smaller scale operation so Not sure on production or stock. But worth a look. I only know his instagram handle @sunrise_boardworks