Just bought a haley pin what fin?

Bonzourno

Sep 29, 2018
Capitola
Been experimenting with a 6.5” Bonzer center fin with the Bonzer side bites on my 8.0’ Haley Pin and 7’10” Lizzy. It really loosens up the board compared to the 7.75” vBowls and 8” 4a fins that I was running.

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
As an update I just picked up a second Haley pin because i love the 7'6" so much. I now own a 7'10" as well. One thing sort of interesting that i am not sure if it has been discussed are differences in shape from different shapers. My 7'6" is John Simon and the 7'10" is Jacob Ellis. They have a different rail contour and a very different foil on the deck.
Also i would say the overall dimensions are not totally similar. I actually think the 7'6" is thicker at the stringer and carries more foam than the 7'10" which just seems thinner across the entire board. For sure the tail on the 7'10"is thinner.

Anyone else own 2 that are different shapers with different lines?
Almost seems like the shapers have the templates, ratios, and bottom contour direction and then do their own version.

One more thing people were mentioning about the rocker is that yes the nose rocker is quite flat, but there is a good amount of tail rocker, which i think is some of the secret sauce to this board. I find the flat front makes it paddle great but that tail is what makes it turn well as well as allowing for steeper drops without catching the nose.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
57F3B7E3-D487-4C72-A8F5-F9AE0954B022.jpeg
BCF3DDAD-E314-4DE3-8A80-4BECA9D04176.jpeg
7’4 lovemachine lizzy waiting for me to pick up. Hopefully grab it next week although Doesn’t look like much potential for trying it in the current forecast!
Got a 6.5 4a ish fin to try in it first. Figuring I’m pretty small and the glass on bonzer are wide base so may not need a 7” or bigger fin. Thoughts?

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Nice!

Personally, I have never liked the 4a template in a bonzer, I think something more upright works a bit better - Parrish, Skip etc.

I used to run a 7.75 A Flex in my old McCallum bonzer with long side runners, FWIW.

Some pointbreaks will be working, good test track ;-)

Unleash My Log

Oct 20, 2021
Rhode Island
As an update I just picked up a second Haley pin because i love the 7'6" so much. I now own a 7'10" as well. One thing sort of interesting that i am not sure if it has been discussed are differences in shape from different shapers. My 7'6" is John Simon and the 7'10" is Jacob Ellis. They have a different rail contour and a very different foil on the deck.
Also i would say the overall dimensions are not totally similar. I actually think the 7'6" is thicker at the stringer and carries more foam than the 7'10" which just seems thinner across the entire board. For sure the tail on the 7'10"is thinner.

Anyone else own 2 that are different shapers with different lines?
Almost seems like the shapers have the templates, ratios, and bottom contour direction and then do their own version.

One more thing people were mentioning about the rocker is that yes the nose rocker is quite flat, but there is a good amount of tail rocker, which i think is some of the secret sauce to this board. I find the flat front makes it paddle great but that tail is what makes it turn well as well as allowing for steeper drops without catching the nose.
I have a 9'2 HP by John Oppito and soon I'll pick up my 11'0 HP by John Simon (from @Mr. Steve )

Not same length but still will be interesting to compare 'em

listentoalienworkshop

Nov 21, 2020
Los Angeles
i had a 6.5 bonzer TA in the russ short i had years ago but Trevor Gordon reckoned a 4a worked well in his bonzer lizzy

The Lovelace 7.75 works fine on my 7’10 (and should yours) but I’m more of a fan of 4As in this and evo boards too. It’s not a typical bonzer either. I’d prob aim 7 or 7.5 for bigger waves but haven’t surfed the smaller boards so 6.5 is prob a good place to start if you’re smaller also. Have a finjak in to adjust on the fly. Should be good to go.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
7’4 love machine Lizzy just picked up. Best pics I could get without the current gale force wind blowing it away!

Tiny bit more rocker than I expected ( which is good. It’s still nice and flat!) a little lighter and quite a lot more foiled than I expected too ( so good!)

Excited to feel how it goes but literally no hope in the forecast of anything remotely resembling a rideable wave at present :-(

6.5 4a copy in there to start, base just in front of the tail edge of the runners.

Figure I’m light and the glass ons are longer base than the true Ames fcs bonzer runners

Any thoughts?
A125C8EB-A130-465B-9462-8910F36A22F1.jpeg
17D07086-830D-49DD-811D-48AEC0F2F6ED.jpeg
F876273F-8C81-468D-9E14-32399D28631C.jpeg
1384DEFA-25A9-4AF7-917D-D150DBCDF117.jpeg