Joe 84

Outside

Dec 12, 2021
Garden City, NY
By now most know that I'm a Dentist and that gives me fairly unrivaled opportunities to talk to people. I give them anesthetic and when they are slurring their speech, it's time to go to work. When I opened my practice in the mid 1980's I had more time than patients, so I thought I could run around the track at my old high school to burn off some energy and fill time. There was a sporting goods store "Hermans" where I went on my lunch break and bought a good pair of running shoes, wearing them to work the next day to break them in. No one noticed except Joe, 83 years old, recently widowed, a little overweight, kind of shuffled when he walked. He asked about my shoes and I said that I was on the H.S. track team and thought I'd try running again. Joe said that he was on his college track team and always wanted to run again, in fact, it was on his bucket list. I know that I thought that ship had sailed and remember telling him so. Two weeks later Joe was back for his next appointment wearing the same brand and model running shoes, "Got them at Hermans!" He went on to say that he had always wanted to run the length of Long Island and back to his home in Garden City, about 105 miles each way. Two Hundred And Ten Miles??!! I did my best to talk him out of it but his resolve was set. "So Doc, I'll leave my house and run/jog (shuffle?) as far as I think I can and still make it back to my house. Next day I'll park where I turned around and repeat it. Eventually I'll make it to Montauk Point Lighthouse and when I return to my car I'll have run the whole Island. In his 84th year Joe made it to the Lighthouse. I was blown away when he came in to tell me about his success, and I congratulated him and then apologized for doubting his ability and his commitment to see his plan through. He smiled on his way out, but before he left was the first person to give me this nugget of advice, "Hey Doc, do you know how to eat an Elephant? One bite at a time."

shawnzee

Mar 4, 2015
n.county, sd
By now most know that I'm a Dentist and that gives me fairly unrivaled opportunities to talk to people. I give them anesthetic and when they are slurring their speech, it's time to go to work. When I opened my practice in the mid 1980's I had more time than patients, so I thought I could run around the track at my old high school to burn off some energy and fill time. There was a sporting goods store "Hermans" where I went on my lunch break and bought a good pair of running shoes, wearing them to work the next day to break them in. No one noticed except Joe, 83 years old, recently widowed, a little overweight, kind of shuffled when he walked. He asked about my shoes and I said that I was on the H.S. track team and thought I'd try running again. Joe said that he was on his college track team and always wanted to run again, in fact, it was on his bucket list. I know that I thought that ship had sailed and remember telling him so. Two weeks later Joe was back for his next appointment wearing the same brand and model running shoes, "Got them at Hermans!" He went on to say that he had always wanted to run the length of Long Island and back to his home in Garden City, about 105 miles each way. Two Hundred And Ten Miles??!! I did my best to talk him out of it but his resolve was set. "So Doc, I'll leave my house and run/jog (shuffle?) as far as I think I can and still make it back to my house. Next day I'll park where I turned around and repeat it. Eventually I'll make it to Montauk Point Lighthouse and when I return to my car I'll have run the whole Island. In his 84th year Joe made it to the Lighthouse. I was blown away when he came in to tell me about his success, and I congratulated him and then apologized for doubting his ability and his commitment to see his plan through. He smiled on his way out, but before he left was the first person to give me this nugget of advice, "Hey Doc, do you know how to eat an Elephant? One bite at a time."
Great story Doc!