Jim Phillips Surfboards Hawaii AAA

Zenzen

Dec 9, 2021
Japan
Has anyone had any experience riding these, or know much about them?
Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 16.52.49.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 16.52.33.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 16.53.02.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 16.53.26.png

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
Well I’ve never ridden one but they were first introduced in 1967/1968. Perhaps @shapewright will chime in on when this particular board was shaped, I’m guessing pretty recently.

dingpatch

Apr 2, 2014
Florida USA
So pretty! Way back when, , , , , , we were stunned when we saw our first Triple A. Step deck, pin tail, triple stringer, , , ,! Oh and, concave!! But of course, it didn't take much to get our interest back then, things were getting ready to make some big changes.

Zenzen

Dec 9, 2021
Japan
So pretty! Way back when, , , , , , we were stunned when we saw our first Triple A. Step deck, pin tail, triple stringer, , , ,! Oh and, concave!! But of course, it didn't take much to get our interest back then, things were getting ready to make some big changes.
Pretty for sure dingpatch, it's beautiful. I just want to know how it rides. I'm also wondering if Jim made some modern tweaks to the older specs or if he kept it faithful.

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
I had a Surfboards Hawaii AAA back in 1970 or so but it was 7'6" or so and a pintail...great hand painted sunrise for a knee patch. I guess the original AAAs were longboards?

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
So a clarification from JP on this one: "AAA" not to be confused with the SH "Model A" correct? Bob Haakenson told me he concocted the Model A back in the day while glassing @ Surfboards Hawaii up on the hill & Merrick was also still down in the southland....

The migration north consisting of Bob, Al, Jeff Kruthers, Walner & others had yet to happen to my birthright stomping grounds of Santa Barbaria.

walkingtheplank

Aug 2, 2004
wherever i am
So a clarification from JP on this one: "AAA" not to be confused with the SH "Model A" correct? Bob Haakenson told me he concocted the Model A back in the day while glassing @ Surfboards Hawaii up on the hill & Merrick was also still down in the southland....

The migration north consisting of Bob, Al, Jeff Kruthers, Walner & others had yet to happen to my birthright stomping grounds of Santa Barbaria.
yes - the AAA was a pintail version of the Model A. both had a stepdeck plus concave & were designed to be noseriders. i've actually owned 3 Model As - f/my experience, they rank only second to the Elevator in overall versatility/surfability.

ModelA_top.jpg
Model_A_top.JPG
98-Model-A-deck.jpg

Last edited: