Jersey / East Coast Surf - end of next week

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by NewportGeek, Oct 5, 2019.

1. NewportGeek

NewportGeek Member

May 17, 2007
    USA California
    I'm contemplating a trip out but Surfline's forecast isn't clear yet about onshore wind running Thursday/Friday conditions. Any old (or new) schoolers here have an understanding of what to expect from the weather, or where on the east coast might be good 10/10 and 10/11?

2. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    My read after looking at Windy is it will be a decent sized swell with NW winds. If that holds up the uncertainty is how much North is in that NW forecast.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  3. NewportGeek

NewportGeek Member

May 17, 2007
    USA California
    Thanks. I'll make a go, no-go by Tuesday night; That'll give me Wendesday to pack and drive out.

NW winds would be a good thing? (so backwards to me, being SoCal raised. LOL)

Where would you go out? I've never surfed east coast before but have no issue with heavy breaks or crowds. From what I've read on the forum in the past, it's mostly sandbars so local knowledge about bottom conditions can be key... and I'm at a total loss.

4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I trust the Windy forecast. Magicseaweed is showing NE winds though which is not so good. There are many locations New Jersey through New England that can handle a NW wind. Good luck.

5. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Looking like NNE winds and a little swell Thursday and Friday. NW is better here in NY but it should still be fun. PM if you want details.

6. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Friday is looking big dog! I am looking at a forecast now showing 20' NE swell on Friday. (That always changes, but it's always surprising to see.) There are probably places you can go to score but the cleanup after a swell like that is usually better than the main event.

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.
  7. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    Nj/ Ny breaks are only 45-60 min apart so you can catch it n/nw Ny or West in Nj and meet up w some local jammers in either state. Pm me for details if needed.

8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    The wind forecast is changing already. I see a lot of NE winds.

PeakMaster likes this.
  9. Gallery

Gallery Member

Jul 3, 2018
    New Jersey
    Swell angle is dead East so if/when it cleans up you'll be wanting to find someplace that doesn't face due east, which excludes most of NJ.

Will be interesting to see what the beaches and sandbars look like this weekend after it passes.

10. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Surfline has Long Island good from Wednesday thru Monday. Head there to the land of lefts. Can get drifty so bring your paddling arms and make sure you are aware of your surroundings (jetties, piles, etc). Surfed Long Beach a while back, drifted a bit and almost surfed right into a jetty I didn't know was there.