It's usually the archer, not the arrow

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Limit yourself to 3 boards: 1 Good wave board, 1 small wave/small day board, 1 board for the vast majority of average days. If you want to have one extra spot to experiment with stuff from JB or CL on a rotation, I'll allow a 4th spot in this rule. But I do think that, if most of us are honest with ourselves, we don't really "need" more than 3-4 boards at one time (go ahead, flame away!)

Totally true if we're being honest. I don't think it's without merit, though: there are some simple pleasures to be had in buying a new board, carrying it under your arm to the ocean, or even just riding a really beautiful board that looks sweeeeeet. (If looks didn't matter at all, all longboards, mids, and fish would be clear resin/plain white like shortboards.)

Outside

Dec 12, 2021
Garden City, NY
Simplicity is the key to happiness and this goes far beyond surfboards. Embracing it is the stumbling block for many of us.
Well said. That is the reason you'll see so many of mine posted. Unused functional art that can be put to far better use than just holding up dust on my surf racks. There's a capability for relaxation, pleasure, excitement, satisfaction, challenge, solitude, in each one of these boards yearning for a pilot to set them free. I've selfishly keep them captive long enough.

Macaster

Feb 13, 2021
Oceanside
I think about this some times. When I was a kid growing up surfing in the late 80s and early 90s. My friends and I all had one board quivers. We never kept our old boards, they got traded or sold. We surfed every possible day we could regardless of conditions. We had no problem deciding what board to take.

Now I have a garage full of surfboards. Many boards have come and gone. But I find myself riding the same two boards all of the time. Either a 6’4 or a 9’4.

NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
It's always the archer. If you ever think it's the board, lend it out to a better surfer to see what the board can actually do.

I buy boards out of curiosity more than to try and make me surf better. I tend to be very curious though so it can become a problem. Also, I can't pass up a board that I might not ever find again. But then usually find another one and end up with doubles/triples.

Outside

Dec 12, 2021
Garden City, NY
It's always the archer. If you ever think it's the board, lend it out to a better surfer to see what the board can actually do.

I buy boards out of curiosity more than to try and make me surf better. I tend to be very curious though so it can become a problem. Also, I can't pass up a board that I might not ever find again. But then usually find another one and end up with doubles/triples.
Spot-on! We used to surf a fast racy left in Winter that would usually, but not always close out. (Rock-A-Something) I'd bought a blue sponge "Doyle" board to lessen the impacts of frequently being smacked by it in closeouts. To hold the floaty board in a steep wave I got two more of the bigger center fins to replace the smaller side fins and it worked better. Paddle, turn, race the face. It was too thick, poor rocker, terrible rails, to be a really good board. I took it to another beach during an inconsistent Summer swell and there was a visitor from the West Coast who asked if he could catch a few rides, since he didn't have a board. After a few waves, he caught air and connected his landing. Then came a couple of fins first take offs ending in floaters. He was a very good surfer and it was nice to see the potential that my level of surfing could never bring out of this "toy". Afterwards he returned the board, thanked me and left with his friends. I'm sure I looked over that board for a long time. His name was probably William Tell for all I know, but what an Archer.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
This hread came just in time for a new Firewire along with Surf Line app. That can be downloaded to you smart phone.
Heres how t works. You down load up to 15 boads in your quiver. Then give your age your physical fitness night and weigh. there will be a button to take you to Surf Line. Select the surf spot and it will automatically select the Top 3 boards in your quiver. If you don’t have the prefect board for the conditions. Fire Wire will select a Board from their extensive catalog. Give you driving directions to the nearest surf shop with The Board in stock. If you are over 35 years old the default is always Rob Machado’s Seaside and beyond or his Sunday Surfboard.

Now in other News Kelly will be offering time share at a verity of wave Pools. That should be opened by 2027 or 28.

Skegg

Oct 7, 2021
Maine
Very much agree with what's been said about the three board quiver covering all necessities. However, I think there's an incentive to try a bunch of boards whether you're looking to maximize fun or optimize performance. It's the definitely the archer, not the arrow, but certain design elements will help the archer compensate for weaknesses. Sometimes the archer screws up by bringing the wrong arrow. In my mind, that's still an "archer not arrow" situation.

I definitely identify with the addictive quality it can take on. At this point I look at my quiver and feel like I have those three necessary boards. Everything I have beyond that is for enhancing fun and feeling different feelings. If I were stressed or overwhelmed by the number of boards I have, I'd probably take that as a sign that consolidation is needed. That's just how I think about this.

Regarding the guy you saw ripping the stock thruster, it can be easy to forget that shortboards have a lot of intricate design elements that aren't always obvious. It's very likely that guy has spent obsessive time dialing in his quiver too. He may also kick himself for bringing the wrong board on certain days. Maybe his stock shorty, groveler, and step up all look kind of like a "stock thruster" to you. Likely that he looks at longboards and thinks they're all the same.

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
It’s my obsessive compulsive personality that made me constantly pursue new boards. Finally got sick of the chase and what a joy it is just being happy with what I have. Surfing much better as well not constantly having to learn the nuances of a new board.
Blame the dreadnaught :)

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
The Dreadnought is what caused my board search to end. Such a good board for SanO for an old guy that loves to trim, glide, and race down the line. It is very nimble too though, and loves to turn. That, and my Parallax make up my two board quiver. Parallax for when it gets bigger or if I surf a snappier spot.