It's usually the archer, not the arrow

CantDecide

Oct 19, 2020
USA
Limit yourself to 3 boards: 1 Good wave board, 1 small wave/small day board, 1 board for the vast majority of average days. If you want to have one extra spot to experiment with stuff from JB or CL on a rotation, I'll allow a 4th spot in this rule. But I do think that, if most of us are honest with ourselves, we don't really "need" more than 3-4 boards at one time (go ahead, flame away!)

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
Curious about the relationship between extreme surfing talent and quiver size. Here in NJ we don’t even have consistently decent waves. I see a few very very good surfers not many. Have about 10-12 boards mostly long, a few mids. Try to surf them all but the last couple of years it doesn’t seem to happen.

kpd73

May 8, 2013
USA Rhode Island
Limit yourself to 3 boards: 1 Good wave board, 1 small wave/small day board, 1 board for the vast majority of average days. If you want to have one extra spot to experiment with stuff from JB or CL on a rotation, I'll allow a 4th spot in this rule. But I do think that, if most of us are honest with ourselves, we don't really "need" more than 3-4 boards at one time (go ahead, flame away!)

4 boards here
9'6 Takayama Tommy Witt
7'2 Campbell Brothers Russ Short round pin bonzer5
6'5 Campbell Brothers-Hawaii - speed seed custom bonzer 5
5'6 Austin mini simmons twinzer

Dialed in and happiest I've ever been.

Sometimes you really do bring the wrong board tho

Van

jb111

Jun 11, 2022
San Diego
100% agree here. So much less stressful after I wittled everything down to even two boards. The 10' Mitsven Eagle, and an 8'7 teardrop pintail egg are both utility vehicles that cover most bases for me. I'm actually getting ready to sell my daughter's 9'5 Crime Evolution (okay with her, she's in Berlin now). I just got it for her in April when she was in town, but even having it here as a third option starts stressing me out!

Outside

Dec 12, 2021
Garden City, NY
In agreement with everything that has been posted previously and generally just grab my 10' Mark Martinson longboard, wax the bald spots, and check the leash. That's it in the photo above and to the left.

Hatin2perl

May 25, 2021
SoCal
The challenge I suspect lies in the chase for perhaps what is unattainable for the most of us,myself included, which would be to surf in some combination of grace, power, and flow. All of this I find normal if there is any hint of interest in anything one pursues.

Jc Nelson

Jul 21, 2019
CALIFORNIA USA
seems like your title answers your question. jams been over this topic ad nauseum. surf marketing is targeted and you are the bullseye.

think (insert the name of ur favorite ripper here) spends one shits worth of time pouring over the latest nuanced model from shaper a-z?

the 1/10 of 1 perecenters know what works for them and why., the rest of default to endless."exploration" and justify our lowly skill set by "trying new things".

like rick. im over it. we need more surfboards on the planet like we need more cars. enough already its not helping anyone that can actually surf.

the op is in la, right? its 2-3' shotty beach break and marginal points 99% of the time. who even needs a "quiver"? the only real question to ask yourself is do i want to sit a little outside with the longboarders or a little inside with the shortboarders?

what you want to do both? cool. you can have two boards. 1 all arounder longboard and 1 fishy shortboard and you get to pick any color, so long as its white.