It’s On! Beach House Boardswap June 28th!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by njrider, Jun 11, 2020.

1. jdogger

jdogger Active Member

Apr 4, 2006
    USA California
    It all makes sense. Apparently, this Simo was quite a shady individual. The longboard that I saw was perhaps a "Code 20'" model as mentioned on Sways. Maybe the "20" referred to the wide nose?. So maybe they were all made in NJ and the Manhatten Beach Logo was all a scam? Interesting story backed up by Balsa Bill Yerkes and Jim Phillips; both honest guys who were around in the day and would have the skinny.

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    Wow! That's a heavier story than I could ever imagine. I never knew of this East coast connection. I found the board that I owned in a shop in Ventura, CA. Not far from Carpinteria. It's possible it could have come from him. It may be still floating around there somewhere, but I discovered a different board that I had owned that ended up in the possession of another surfer from New York. These surfboards sure can get around.

3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    No. Simo made up the brand name but had the guy in Hermosa
    that you mentioned make them and ship them to NJ where Simo sold them in his Custom Surf Shop in Lavallette NJ.

4. Macilious

Macilious Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I asked NJrider about the new DRs and he said that Tony at COS was doing some and trying to do them as close to the originals as possible but, I guess the original DRs varied a lot in dimensions. So, you could have 2 Sunshine Super models that vary in tail width or whatever. Which seems to be pretty standard for shapers of the that period.

I got a Dusty Rhodes "Love" model about 10 years ago from a defunct surf shop in Neptune, NJ. Nose was repaired but the tail was chopped off. I was always told DR was a shaper an NJ shaper...

But today on the internet I found this!

https://www.wwe.com/superstars/dustyrhodes

Basenji703 and PeakMaster like this.
  5. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    He might consider recreating that "Green Machine", I test piloted that board for about 6 months and found it pretty decent. Building it a little lighter would also be a plus.

6. northbeachboy

northbeachboy Active Member

Aug 16, 2004
    USA California
    I lived in Lavallette in 60's...The label was made-up by Joe Simonello, and the boards may have been shaped in CA...full-on scam...I got a number of boards from Joe, as he was a dealer for Surfboards Hawaii as well as Harbour for a time...Rich Harbour can tell you some stories...Simo stiffed many people...

PeakMaster likes this.
  7. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    S
    Sounds like we have this mystery solved. Great input!

8. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Here's the scoop on Dusty Rhodes, again from the Beach House Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CB7-_2KAut4/

Sax-son and Makawaosurfer93 like this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA