Is there a non-annoying leash out there?

Lustro

Jul 25, 2021
San Carlos, CA
I'm always getting tangled. When I get up it's often right under/in my feet, and I have to do a little dance to kick it away. Right now I'm using the XM "Longneck" one. It's really great otherwise. Stays out of the way when I'm walking around the board, but when I'm paddling it's all up in my business trying to get up on my board.

The previous ankle leashes I've had were more the opposite: didn't tangle *as much* while paddling and getting up but were in the way when I was cross-stepping.

Is it just me? Is this just the nature of leashes? I don't really notice anybody else having leash problems in the lineup. XM has these "tangle free" leashes with a ring on the cord. Can anybody vouch for those? I've only used the Regular thickness XM leashes. Maybe a Comp would be better (perhaps more supple and easily kept back by water flow?)

Sorry for all the ?s. This is just getting annoying.

tc96707

Feb 3, 2016
USA Hawaii
I struggled with the same issue when I started surfing. But what works for me is rotating the ankle strap so the cord is 45 degrees forward from the side, and storing my leashes laid out flat as straight as can be.

For storage, I do not wrap it around the board nor coiled up in a circle. I feel the cord retains memory.

FYI, XM has a tangle-free leash. I never tried it because I think it creates more drag while paddling.

A buddy of mine prefers to have the leash on the forward foot. To each their own???

Surfertom

Mar 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, California
I struggled with the same issue when I started surfing. But what works for me is rotating the ankle strap so the cord is 45 degrees forward from the side, and storing my leashes laid out flat as straight as can be.

For storage, I do not wrap it around the board nor coiled up in a circle. I feel the cord retains memory.

FYI, XM has a tangle-free leash. I never tried it because I think it creates more drag while paddling.

A buddy of mine prefers to have the leash on the forward foot. To each their own???

Make sure the longneck heads to the outside of your leg when paddling, not straight behind. It helped me.

ST

ChyandourSlider

Nov 3, 2016
West Cornwall, UK
They all have a tendency to tangle if they're not looked after.
Don't leave a leash permantly attached to a board, wrapped tight around the tail. Always take it off, and hang it if possible, so that it can relax. As with comments above, the things have memory. They come tightly folded in the packaging when new. Wrapping around the tail of your board when not in use will encourage tangles.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
I'm always getting tangled. When I get up it's often right under/in my feet, and I have to do a little dance to kick it away. Right now I'm using the XM "Longneck" one. It's really great otherwise. Stays out of the way when I'm walking around the board, but when I'm paddling it's all up in my business trying to get up on my board.

The previous ankle leashes I've had were more the opposite: didn't tangle *as much* while paddling and getting up but were in the way when I was cross-stepping.

Is it just me? Is this just the nature of leashes? I don't really notice anybody else having leash problems in the lineup. XM has these "tangle free" leashes with a ring on the cord. Can anybody vouch for those? I've only used the Regular thickness XM leashes. Maybe a Comp would be better (perhaps more supple and easily kept back by water flow?)

Sorry for all the ?s. This is just getting annoying.

Is your XM Longneck a knee/calf leash? (I wasn't sure if they come in ankle varieties.) I have been using the calf leash variety for a long time and find it vastly superior to any other leash when it comes to longboarding and cross stepping. But like you said, it can sometimes get underfoot when you're getting up. Really, any leash can do that.

How about this: Have you tried putting a calf leash cuff onto one of the other types of leashes that don't tangle as much? You can attach and detach it with an allen key. I transplanted an XM calf leash cuff to a Sympl leash and it works pretty nicely. The Sympl cord itself is a lot thinner than the bulky XM cord, so it seems a little lighter in general. I end up losing the "longneck" feature (where it stiffens the first few inches of leash to hold it away from my feet), but having the leash connected to my calf does help keep it out from underfoot.

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
seems someone would try something like this
1632321071810.png

Lustro

Jul 25, 2021
San Carlos, CA
try surfing with your leash on your forward foot with the leash horn outboard...less to tangle, less to drag behind...been doing that for many years, pretty much zero's out leash tangles...and the added entertainment of some guy who says "uh, hey man, you got the leash on the wrong foot"...lol

OK. Never seen anyone do it, but I'll give it a go just for kicks. If it's on your front foot, though, wouldn't the leash tighten up right across your back leg when you're farther up the board?