Injured (again) and trying to keep the stoke when you can't surf...

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
Good luck
Sept 20-Feb21 6 months healing
.tibia fx, cf ligament and peroneus brevis strained..
Surfed 8 weeks
Boom
Easter sunday april 21..rotator cuff.."massive tear"
Surgery may 17 ..healing..
They say 6 months..November..
Ill Probably wait until 8 months post op..

It sucks..but better than not being able to again. ..or 6' under..i suppose..
Im In it for the long game...
new years paddle out..at trees..or privates...yeeww

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
I find that skateboarding (longboarding) can scratch my surf itch quite well in times of flatness

Also most of my injuries are caused by skateboarding

waveslider

Jun 3, 2005
USA California
Good luck, hopefully no tears. I'll be going in for shoulder surgery next week, night time is the pits. Fugggggg
High-grade partial bursal side tear of the supraspinatus tendon with moderate tendinitis. Large bone spur and mild subdeltoid bursitis. Good times.

Hope your surgery goes well! Gonna try and delay with a bunch of PT.

Glide&Flow

Jun 1, 2021
CenCoastCa
I have a Hill-Sachs lesion and way compromised labrum (SLAP tear) due to dozens of dislocations (due the the HS lesion:rolleyes:). Stupid thing will dislocate if I sneeze the wrong way.

Have had to kind of tweak my stroke so it doesn't pop out while I'm paddling. A dislocated shoulder out in the line-up is a pretty excruciating experience as you're getting washed in, trying your best to cradle your arm. And wetsuit definitely complicates things.

Anyways, I've been pretty stoked on this shoulder brace for awhile. Don't know if it will help you, but adds some helpful stability for my situation. Trying to make it last, so I don't unvelcro it every time. Just have it adjusted the way I like and slide it over my torso.

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Inguinal Hernia surgery next month...

@Surfertom or anyone else that has experience of having their innards pushed back whence they came - what should I expect in terms of time before surfing again please?

T-Bone

Apr 7, 2005
USA - Beachwood, New Jersey
FPE - best bet is strengthen the shoulder to get the muscles & ligaments tightened up to avoid a repeat. Had my Shoulder Ortho tell me a dislocation between 20 - 40 years of age increases the chance of a repeat by 50%, a second increases that to 100% for multiple dislocations throughout your life. Definitely wish you the best on your recovery!
On another note:
8/14 - 100% left distal bicep rupture. Hadn’t been in the water all spring/summer due to back issues. Opted for the surgery to repair. Now out of the water and immobilized for 4 weeks, looking at 4 to 6 more months more out of the water. Need to find a 1 armed sport/activity to take up to keep me moving, lol.

dingpatch

Apr 2, 2014
Florida USA
Life sucks, , , , , , , for sure, , , , , , , ,!

I got my Chemo Power Port removed last month (after 5 years!) so that, if nothing else, I can now lay on a longboard and paddle!! I'm in no shape to get wet yet but, that will come in the Spring. Feeling so much better now.

Now, for those of you that are "weak of heart", hold on for what I've got to say, , , , , , , ,: I've been dealing with these fooking "blood cancers" since 2012 and, as such, , , , , , , the last time I surfed was January 2012 at Kaisers.

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
Inguinal Hernia surgery next month...

@Surfertom or anyone else that has experience of having their innards pushed back whence they came - what should I expect in terms of time before surfing again please?
If it is done thru a laproscope
You will recover quicker than a open procedure?
Is it indirect or direct?

Probably a month

You will asked to begin walking as soon as you can after the surgery
And of course with pain meds
No driving,operating heavy machinery,etc

Anyways good luck
I’m sure you will do fine

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Thanks DanSan

NHS in the UK appear to prefer open surgery for the first surgery on single hernias, but will do any subsequent surgeries via keyhole.

Curiously, if you have a double hernia, you may have more chance of keyhole surgery right off the bat... strange!

Members online