Injured (again) and trying to keep the stoke when you can't surf...

Spritzer

Apr 27, 2019
Virginia Beach
Has anyone one popped out a once fixed hernia while surfing, specifically paddling? Or gotten an ab strain?

I had inguinal hernia surgery in 2016, life has been great surfing and working out until this weekend, second day of Henri, I'm about an hour into a session, paddling out, And I got the most intense crazy localized cramping down in that extremely lower left region of the ab area.
I'm hoping it's just an ab strain or something similar due to me being weak and out of surf shape and not rupturing the hernia repair.

It was so small in 2016 They couldn't find it by physical exam, the CT scan located it.. I had a regular doctor visit today and they couldn't feel anything but have an ultrasound Monday. just trying to rationalize anything other than a hernia and put my mind at ease until then..

waveslider

Jun 3, 2005
USA California
Haven’t surfed since August 3rd. Damn shoulder, years of hockey, surfing and OC abuse. Saw the ortho on Tuesday, got MRI yesterday, results on Tuesday. Limited range of motion and can’t lift anything other than a soup can to shoulder height. Fugggggg.

davey

Jun 9, 2007
Australia
Haven’t surfed since August 3rd. Damn shoulder, years of hockey, surfing and OC abuse. Saw the ortho on Tuesday, got MRI yesterday, results on Tuesday. Limited range of motion and can’t lift anything other than a soup can to shoulder height. Fugggggg.
Good luck, hopefully no tears. I'll be going in for shoulder surgery next week, night time is the pits. Fugggggg

Dasein

May 29, 2021
Costa Mesa
@davey Im right there with yah. Just got a plate, 9 screws, and some wire taken out of my shoulder a week ago. Been sleeping propped up on the couch since. What are you getting done?

Needless to say it will be some time before im back. Thinking of picking up a surf mat, has anyone else done that in the mean time?

Reactions: XXX

davey

Jun 9, 2007
Australia
@davey Im right there with yah. Just got a plate, 9 screws, and some wire taken out of my shoulder a week ago. Been sleeping propped up on the couch since. What are you getting done?

Needless to say it will be some time before im back. Thinking of picking up a surf mat, has anyone else done that in the mean time?
That's some major surgery on your shoulder mate, feeling for you.
I'm getting a rotator cuff repair.
A surf mat is a good idea. If it's not too soon, go for it..

Salinity

May 11, 2016
USA Rhode Island

I tried the mat right before my RC surgery (when I didn’t have much use of my arm above shoulder height & couldn’t really paddle) & at about 3 months PO - seemed to me like you still need some good strength and RoM in the shoulder for that. Because you’re not on your feet at all, you are actually using your arms/shoulders more, even though you’re not paddling and popping up.

Glide&Flow

Jun 1, 2021
CenCoastCa
I’ve had 3 shoulder surgeries and putting off the fourth as long as I can. If you are still in the propped up sleeping stage, you got awhile before you can even think about doing anything besides PT. I would be surprised if a doc gave the okay do anything in the water before 2 months after the surgery, more like 3+. It’s so easy to mess it up and often happens doing something you weren’t even thinking about, let alone bouncing around in waves on a surf mat. It’s all about PT and that crazy ice sleeve strap thingy and doing your best to keep a handle on the Vicodin.

The ocean ain’t goin anywhere, you just gotta get her outta your mind for the time being. Did I mention kicking ass at PT…seriously, you gotta almost treat it like you are a pro athlete in order for the surgery to have the most potential to stay solid.

XXX

Dec 18, 2020
Nowhere

I picked up a mat after first shoulder surgery fifteen years or so back. I've had two more surgeries and am now waiting for my second total replacement. Mats are a good option; you can paddle if you want, but don't need to. The challenge in larger surf is hanging on to the mat, but you can develop your own technique to minimize stress on the shoulders.

Dasein

May 29, 2021
Costa Mesa
@Glide&Flow this was my third one aswell, got hardware, hardware replacement (broke original hardware), now getting it removed, hopefully its the fastest healing time. I definitely have messed it up in the past. Yeah, I was just thinking local jetty mushers. @Niau Thats what I was hoping, I could do. Just chill foamy take offs. But what I did not think about was the wetsuit....

Either way, seems out of the cards for some time. I guess ill just get ripped as shit now, since I packed on more than a few lbs during COVD. Seems like rotator cuff is pretty common on there then.

Thanks all for the input!

Last edited:

Members online