Injured (again) and trying to keep the stoke when you can't surf...

FirstPointEric

Staff member
May 9, 2010
USA California and Nashville, TNN
This actually happened just over a month ago. F*cking skateboarding of course. Literally I'm turning onto my street at speed, not able to see stray tree shrapnel around the curve--but I'm already in a fully committed backside turn--and my wheels stop dead. I fly a short distance and land square on my left shoulder. Didn't even leave a scratch on my head or anywhere else except a half dollar bloody elbow, which I still can't quite believe.

Long story short (I know, ha ha fu€King ha ;)), I dislocated my clavicle and ruptured the three ligaments that keep your shoulder together. Surgery was 4 weeks ago and all went well. The shoulder wire (a Kirschner pin--about 2"--for those keeping score) was removed today. Two more weeks in a sling including which includes sleeping (extra bollocks bonus fun).

The extra kick to the gut is that I'm visiting CA with the kids next month and my kind doc--who does understand my surfing need--still had to give me the bad news that surfing wouldn't be a smart idea for the still-very-much recovering ligaments.

So I'm sitting home, the kids are asleep and I'm waiting for the day to come when I can surf again. And I put this on, to stoke the fire of stoke.

Be careful out there. With a ton of mahalo and aloha.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

kiwi

Aug 28, 2007
Ive had long periods of time when I couldn't surf due to chronic illness, years at a time. Then I get back to it only to relapse and loose it again. It's soul destroying. I found there was nothing i could do but accept it, funnily enough being so incredibility I'll and lingering around deaths door kinda helped me forget about missing out on surfing because the suffering was so intense it was all that occupied my mind.

One good thing about illness is it really makes you appreciate the basic thing in life, the stuff that is taken for granted. The little things, like going for a walk without feeling ill, or being able to go out and buy your own groceries. I was home bound for 3 years to ill to even get food, I had to order it online and have it delivered.

Not being able to surf sucks but it's not the end of the world...getting back on a board after not being able to is Nirvana.

Dawnpatrol

May 7, 2006
PNW
This actually happened just over a month ago. F*cking skateboarding of course. Literally I'm turning onto my street at speed, not able to see stray tree shrapnel around the curve--but I'm already in a fully committed backside turn--and my wheels stop dead. I fly a short distance and land square on my left shoulder. Didn't even leave a scratch on my head or anywhere else except a half dollar bloody elbow, which I still can't quite believe.

Long story short (I know, ha ha fu€King ha ;)), I dislocated my clavicle and ruptured the three ligaments that keep your shoulder together. Surgery was 4 weeks ago and all went well. The shoulder wire (a Kirschner pin--about 2"--for those keeping score) was removed today. Two more weeks in a sling including which includes sleeping (extra bollocks bonus fun).

The extra kick to the gut is that I'm visiting CA with the kids next month and my kind doc--who does understand my surfing need--still had to give me the bad news that surfing wouldn't be a smart idea for the still-very-much recovering ligaments.

So I'm sitting home, the kids are asleep and I'm waiting for the day to come when I can surf again. And I put this on, to stoke the fire of stoke.

Be careful out there. With a ton of mahalo and aloha.

View attachment 172
Do not rush back in the water after this surgery until you've rehabbed and your Doc gives you the green light. I fell on a tree stump while down hill skiing the back country years ago (December 23, 1987). The X-ray showed my shoulder as a china plate that had been dropped resulting in a million pieces. Had a great Ortho who put me back together along with working with a great PT. Got back in the water four month later. Good luck buddy, just take your time healing. Don't rush this thing.

70s SanO

Feb 16, 2004
MIssion Viejo, California
Eric,

Two years ago I shattered my clavicle on a road bike. Recovery was 3 months. I pushed myself to get back on the bike and on my first ride back I clipped a tree on my mountain bike and partially tore a couple in tendons on same shoulder. Not a lot of pain, but loss of motion. I did physical therapy and it is a miracle I can still paddle. Looking back I should have strengthen my inactive shoulder before diving back in.

The best advice I can give you do PT if the doctor recommends it even if you don't want to. It can make a big difference. I know it is tough to just sit around, but you just can't screw it up before it heals because the long term loss is so much greater.

Hang in there.

John

joeblackuz

Apr 15, 2005
That sucks eric. Feel better! I fell off my board on turkey day. Torn ligament in my left wrist and a possible hamate fracture in my right. Need a ct scan to confirm. Hope you recover well.

JMJackFish

Jul 5, 2016
USA North Carolina
Full shoulder rebuild with screws, stitches and the heat wand to shrink the capsule (not done anymore because it doesn't last...) 16 years ago. Took the PT serious and got back in water 6 months later. Biggest issue to this day is grabbing my board when a wave is breaking over me as I am kicking out/paddling back out. I stretch a lot more now that I am old. Good luck - it gets better

FirstPointEric

Staff member
May 9, 2010
USA California and Nashville, TNN
image.jpeg

The above was what it looked like after the fall.

Thanks all for the good wishes and I didn't mean to be coming off as some sad sack saying "oh woe is me".
I'm very fortunate as it could've been a hell of a lot worse.

The doctor says there won't be lots of PT because it was a "clean" dislocation; mainly it's regaining full rotational motion. He said the X-rays show the shoulder looks great now and its more about making sure the ligaments heal properly.

Jeebus Kiwi! I had no idea you'd been dealing with such pain and hell. I'm glad to hear your better and yes, the injuries I've had do give one perspective. Or, as the honorable David St. Hubbins once said: "a little too much fucking perspective." ;) I'm really looking forward to July.

Yeah Mike, my days of skating at speed are over. Joe: get your shit looked at! Erik: how the hell did you crush two vertebrae? Good that you're back in the water. John, Tom, JM and Tom, thanks for the advice and words of encouragement.

Heart and the Sea helped rekindle the stoke and I'll keep looking forward and actually try to learn from my mistakes. Wish me luck. ;)

Eric

Members online