Info on Vintage board values?

Basenji703

Apr 2, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
Depends on what you have. I just sold a Stemwinder using the Greg Noll FB page. There are also other FB pages for surfboard collectors and surfboard valuation. Valuation is a tricky thing. A surfboard worth X in Virginia Beach may be worth XX or more in California, New York or elsewhere. Finding the right purchaser is also important in valuation. The board I had made for me while I was living in Hawai'i just popped up. What is it worth? To me it's worth a fair amount, to you it's just a used surfboard from the mid '70s. Since it was the board that the guy who has it first surfboard, I didn't even try to buy it. I did get a picture of it though. The board was amazing and I got a lot of comments on it when I live in Hawai'i.
81B91AB5-2286-4E01-AC9B-94828718622B_1_105_c.jpeg

1976 Rise surfboard, shaped by my friend Tommy Eadon, shaped in his factory in Rumson, NJ. I told him I wanted a board for big OBX and used it for small to double over head Hawaii. Bigger than that, I went to my Bolt semi gun. I got a ton of favorable comments about it in Hawaii at the time.

Last edited:

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
^^^^^Still have my Rise board shaped in ‘77. I think it was a kid in the parts department at the local Porsche Audi dealer who told me his friend makes boards. “Give him a call”, so I did. Value, who knows?

Last edited:

NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
Guess at a price and post it for sale. It will end up in the smoking crack thread if priced too high. If too low, a flipper will buy it and you can then see what the price should have been when they repost it. I've overpaid and underpaid on a bunch of boards over the years.

Personally, I like vintage 60s riders. Something with a more refined shape for it's time that surfs well. The true collectors boards (nolls, early guns, early wood boards, 80s airbrush boards, etc) bring a ton of money but don't interest me. To each their own. Part of the fun.

Edit: Adding in some ranges of what I think is reasonable. Many will disagree, but below is my comfort level. Of course when a board is special for some reason, value for me goes up. Extra clean, cool color/inlay, something I've been looking for a while but can't find, etc.

Stock 60s longboard with tan up to $400. Think flat rocker, pig shape. Nothing special but will get you in the water on something old. color, cool fin, etc adds a few bucks. Clear bright white no dings or pressures, up to $1k.

60s board that is a actual model that was produced in numbers (hansen 50-50, weber performer, weber feather, hansen superlight, hobie gary propper, etc) or board will more refined shaper/rocker/rails with minor tan and water tight without water damage or extra weight $500-$750. Cleaner foam with a few tiny dings can be double that. Bright white and perfect can be up to triple.

More difficult models to find (bing nuuhiwa noseriders or lightweights, rick noseriders, con ugly, some of the gunnier boards, but not full on guns) Decent riders in the $1k to $1500 range Mint boards maybe double that.

Then the true collectables that rich people can buy and look at but the board will never see the water, $3k-????. Can look at the california auction to see some sell in tens of thousands that will just be passed around by collectors and never see the sun or beach again.

Last edited:

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
You have to be careful with old longboards. They are fetching a premium now and many are just turds in my opinion. Just because it's old, doesn't make it good. I used to ride them all the time because I could pick them up for cheap. However, once they started to climb past the $400.00 price tag, I was out of the game. I only rode the vintage boards because at the time, nobody was shaping them correctly. That is not the case now. There are many shapers building great vintage-based longboards, and they are not waterlogged or sunburnt to hell. They have been able to determine what was good on those popular models and are building modern replicas.

Last edited: