In search of the ultimate cruiser

pooch_gravy

Aug 13, 2020
Melbourne
E6CFFB76-16BD-4DB7-AEFA-77C4A258ADB4.jpeg

ToSurf

Jan 9, 2015
Really like the 8’0 Lib Tech pickup Stick. Chined rails like the Stewart hydrohulls. Light but dampens well. Paddles into everything but loose enough for fun cutbacks like a much shorter board.

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
All personal preference really, but I think you can can get a lot out of a sub-8ft board that is pretty flat in the rocker and planes out naturally. The bottom contour is again personal preference, but anything low drag is the go.

Personally, that would be some kind of hull or small vee bottom variant for me. The drivey feel of a longer fish is also quite satisfying too though...

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
All personal preference really, but I think you can can get a lot out of a sub-8ft board that is pretty flat in the rocker and planes out naturally. The bottom contour is again personal preference, but anything low drag is the go.

Personally, that would be some kind of hull or small vee bottom variant for me. The drivey feel of a longer fish is also quite satisfying too though...
On that note I rode my 7’6 cj outlier (essentially a dehulled vaquero) this morning in stomach to shoulder high beach break ( a mushy beach break that was doing a passable impression of a ca point this morning ) and it was super fun. No problems getting into waves despite the number of people on logs and plenty of down the line speed and swishy cutbacks.

Think the 7’6 is discontinued now but as I posted on page 1, the 8’ outlier would fit what you’re looking for exactly.