In search of the ultimate cruiser

Eh_frame

Dec 31, 2020
Philly or Jersey
Global Surf Industries-Modern Double Wide 7’4”.
Its pretty thick and has plenty of float.
I have the 8’4” but I weigh 215. I’ve surfed it in a variety of conditions in Tamarindo-plenty of fun, easy to catch waves on, forgiving, not too expensive, etc.

Best of luck.
No dims needed. Just liters.

applebutter

Aug 23, 2008
i have a full bodied 6'6 Fowler NVM (Stoker V) that I'm not really riding. PM me if interested. I'm 5'8 170.

DKNJ

Mar 20, 2016
Ocean, NJ
I'm looking for the best wave catching machine under 8' that I can just cruise on. I'm not interested in nose riding....I just want something that paddles/catches waves really easy that I can cruise, high-line, do some nice trimming/carving turns, etc.

I'm 5'7 and 155pounds, surfing 5-6 days per week (mostly fish and mini simmons), intermediate with about 20 years experience. Not interested in a 'good wave only' board...I would take this board out grovel up to about shoulder high beach break and the occasional point/reef on days where I don't feel like riding my sub-six foot boards.

I went looking for this board at my local surf shop and the guy sold me on a howard mini, which clearly was the wrong board, so I'm trying again hoping for some better guidance from this wonderful community!
100% get a glider

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Thick lizzy /Hayley pin had to be a good option.

I'd second this. I rode a 7'6" Lizzy in some of the tiniest summer surf expecting it not to go, but it turned out to be a blast. You can stand there and cruise or get more involved, your choice. The one I rode had mini bonzer sidebites, which I would highly recommend for when you want to get more involved. I'm also right around your size @merrija, so that size might also work pretty well for you.

kyle

Jun 2, 2010
This board: Mitsven Stinky

Does everything. You can even creep up to the nose if you want. Cheater 5’s for daaaays. It was a total longboard replacement. From knee high up. Super fun.

Only sold it because it was glassed way too light. The glass on fin was perfectly sized and is the call.

no need to think. Just apply wax and ride.

You will thank me later for this tip and you will thank me on your next board when it’s another Mitsven.

Last edited:

kyle

Jun 2, 2010
PS liked it better than my Avocet (which I still have). Immediate satisfaction.

Avocets are wide point back boards so wave catching and turning is different than a wp fwd board like this.

the Stinky could be steered also anywhere on the board. The Avocet wants you to be directly in top or slightly in front of the fin.

Patrick Riley

May 15, 2018
Jacksonville Beach
I just picked up this 7’8 Simon shapes twin. It was super fun in some of the points north of Malibu. As long as you are comfortable moving your feet around a little bit to turn and trim it was surprisingly cruisey and fast, and easy to be put on rail. Haven’t tried it in beachbreak but I would assume it would do well in the softer non pitching beaches.

697C7ED2-8C0E-426C-9A2D-8F3DA8B6F666.jpeg
69B6FA44-E248-412B-869A-5828D8AA5444.jpeg
2F6FB3C1-7F66-400F-A5F2-C31617C260BA.jpeg

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
PS liked it better than my Avocet (which I still have). Immediate satisfaction.

Avocets are wide point back boards so wave catching and turning is different than a wp fwd board like this.

the Stinky could be steered also anywhere on the board. The Avocet wants you to be directly in top or slightly in front of the fin.
I would try to order a stinky with a clandestino lam. Stinky seems like a better board, but the name is not sexy at all.

kyle

Jun 2, 2010
I would try to order a stinky with a clandestino lam. Stinky seems like a better board, but the name is not sexy at all.
Hahaha. Should the shipper ever deliver and I don’t jive with my Clando I might have to order I new stinky from Bob.

i’m getting all stoked about it just remembering…