In search of the ultimate cruiser

merrija

Aug 9, 2021
Los Angeles
I'm looking for the best wave catching machine under 8' that I can just cruise on. I'm not interested in nose riding....I just want something that paddles/catches waves really easy that I can cruise, high-line, do some nice trimming/carving turns, etc.

I'm 5'7 and 155pounds, surfing 5-6 days per week (mostly fish and mini simmons), intermediate with about 20 years experience. Not interested in a 'good wave only' board...I would take this board out grovel up to about shoulder high beach break and the occasional point/reef on days where I don't feel like riding my sub-six foot boards.

I went looking for this board at my local surf shop and the guy sold me on a howard mini, which clearly was the wrong board, so I'm trying again hoping for some better guidance from this wonderful community!

Last edited:

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
i really like the roy sanchez boards. I have an 8' x 22" x 2 7/8" pintail single fin called the dreadnought glider. It works in 2 foot mush up to overhead. It paddles fast, catches waves easily, turns well, and is fast down the line. It would be my 1 board quiver if i had to choose from what i own. They are also affordable.

I am 5'10" 170lb, 45 years old surf 5 days a week usually.. i would call myself experienced, but not an expert by no means.

here is a link to it.

I will say i went through a few midlengths that were real duds. And were sluggish and hard to catch waves on... below are 3 more i have ridden a good amount and i can recommend...

all good wave catchers / paddlers / performance oriented
Stewart 949 7'6" ( ride as a quad)
Roy sanchez dreadwinner ( same as my board but thumb tail and a bit more tail rocker. )
EC Eric Christenson Freeride ( mine is 7'8" x 21.25 x 3"... 2+1 fin setup.. this is the fastest board i think i have ever ridden.. very foiled rails and tail... needs a bit more wave push than the sanchez, but is faster and more high performance)

merrija

Aug 9, 2021
Los Angeles
hey thanks! really appreciate the recommendations. Do you care to share which of your mid-lengths were total duds?

In addition to actual board recs, what should I be looking for in terms of shape for this board? low entry/exit rocker, full nose, etc.?

glider_boy

Apr 14, 2011
SD
If you are frequently riding steep/fast/junky beach break, I’d probably go with a 2+1 egg or similar. If we’re talking softer beachbreak + reef / point waves, an 8-ish fish Simmons.

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
hey thanks! really appreciate the recommendations. Do you care to share which of your mid-lengths were total duds?

In addition to actual board recs, what should I be looking for in terms of shape for this board? low entry/exit rocker, full nose, etc.

The Torq funboard total dud in all ways. I thought hey its cheap and good to throw in the car on a beach day with kids...opposite of fun

The others i should not actually call duds, but like your howard mini were designed ( intentional or maybe unintentional ) for bigger better waves... the 3 i had were:

Lost Smooth operator 7'4"
DANC Dan cobley 7'6" quad egg
7'2" bonzer

all 3 were very nice boards, but i found all 3 very hard to surf in normal conditions. All 3 were slower to paddle, harder to catch waves on, less glide, harder to keep speed on.. basically i just could not get them to work. They felt more like elongated high performance short boards.

All 3 had in common more rocker and more extreme bottom contours / concaves.

I will say if i was going to somewhere with clean 6'-8' barrels the lost smooth operator as a quad would be amazing.

As per shape, the boards i listed originally are the exact opposite.

They are flat rocker, and almost flat bottom contours. My 2 favorites are slight vee in nose to flat center to slight vee in tail.

One last thing

For my size i find...
7'-7'8" needs to be surfed a bit more actively to keep speed.
7'8"-8'6" can just stand there and keep your speed down the line.

basically if you want down the line speed and glide on the waves you mention i would say closer to 8'. if you want to do some more active shredding closer to 7'...

good luck!