Ian…Shmee-ian….Facing The Storm…

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
I have been watching the news coverage from here and I don't envy those going through it. There is nothing nastier to deal with than "flood damage". Even for those who have suffered less structural damage, once something gets soaked, it's usually ruined and will end up in a pile in your front yard.

There was this guy on TV from Florida, who has lived there his entire life, said that some of these communities that were hard hit should never have been built in the first place. They were built over displaced wetlands (by huckster developers) to build homes and retirement communities on them and now they are starting to pay the price for that. They weren't wetlands for thousands of years for no reason. In addition, they are starting to become harder to get insured due to insurers going bankrupt. Just something to think about.
The Cost Home Owners Insurance in Florida has gone through the roof.

WillieP

Oct 22, 2016
South Carolina
Looks like he is coming to see us in SC. Flooding can be terrible. Also when the wind blows your roof off or even just the shingles, the water from the rain can create a lot of damage in a short period of time.

deemce

May 18, 2010
USA Pennsylvania
We were supposed to be going to coastal Charleston this weekend.... "supposed to be" but Ian cancelled that for us.

Stay safe all

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
I don’t care how many you go through or how long it’s been since
no matter how outwardly cavalier we are so as not to alarm ourselves or wives in this house when I see the aftermath footage like that it kicks you right in the gut but we smile and soldier on until the reckoning time eventually comes again

my heart love deep breaths and a good couple of “well fuck me…” goes out to all the Florida SC GA and yup even Cackalack though our coastal damage should be light Our inland folks not always so much.
Peace to you brothers and sisters

WhiteRussian

Oct 16, 2007
Boston Harbor
My wife’s family has (possibly had) a house on sanibel. As of this a.m., I heard they had about 12 feet + of water. The causeway lost 2 big sections last night, will be at least a month or two before anyone can drive onto the island. Scary stuff, very thankful we made it out okay on the east coast.
o_O

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
Watched a rescue of two assholes that thought they would ride it out on their sailboat. Of course they got on the radio and cried for help, and the Sheriff Marine Unit came and got them off. OK if you want to ride it out and take the consequences, shit move if you call for others to save your ass when it gets bad and put the pros in danger. Been there, done that, always with a smile.

surf1ng

Jan 22, 2022
rAdelaide AU
Watched a rescue of two assholes that thought they would ride it out on their sailboat. Of course they got on the radio and cried for help, and the Sheriff Marine Unit came and got them off. OK if you want to ride it out and take the consequences, shit move if you call for others to save your ass when it gets bad and put the pros in danger. Been there, done that, always with a smile.
Agree. Very selfish. They put first responder’s lives at risk and shifted resources and focus away from where it was no doubt really needed at that time.

dingpatch

Apr 2, 2014
Florida USA
Large parts of the Sanibel Causeway are just plain Gone with nothing left to "repair"! It's going to be many, many, months before it is rebuilt enough to use. Somebody made a comment about the folks who stayed on Sanibel, , , , , , ,: IF they were on a second floor, or above, they are probably Okay. IF they were in a house with only a ground floor, they are most likely Dead. 12 feet of storm surge!!!!!!!