I overcame my mid-length crisis today.

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Patrick Riley, Sep 18, 2019.

1. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Mid length madness today
    Fowler V8...rockview..steep drops
    Fowler platypus...sewer peak..long waves
    Yes.
    Speed to burn

Patrick Riley likes this.
  2. Left Coast 46

Left Coast 46 Active Member

Apr 30, 2015
    So Cal
    DanSan likes this.
  3. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California

4. Mango Bill

Mango Bill Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2006
    USA California
    D8A15C78-0CA1-4A6C-92AC-4E08B29A1BBD.jpeg 20BFC6F1-976C-44A0-856D-91BAA1F00C65.jpeg

Had the pleasure of riding this mid length last two days in some decent waves chest/shoulder it’s a 8’5” Klaus Jones total involvement wide point aft domed tail with beaked pin super thinned out at nose.Day one finned it with one of those dolphin fins super loose great slingshot bottom turns,second day 9.25 skip Frye flex fin one of older ones that are stiffer than the new volan ones, again super slingshot bottom turns a little more control off bottom than the plastic fin and overall little less that on edge of disaster feeling the dolphin gives it. Board is Gem to ride so smooth and cruisey super cutbacks and just one of those boards that feels so fluid under your feet. I would love to try it with this fin https://jamboards.com/threads/pelagic-galecerdo-tial-fluke-fin-for-sale.7024/, I unfortunately have to pass on buying it from Roach not for lack of how it surfs but just where it would sit with my midlength quiver. I told him he needs post it up for sale here as it deserves to be ridden more than I could give it. I am sure he will be posting it up soon as the front end of his Nova Wagon motor is off and it’s more suited to some in the 170-180lb range. For reference I am right around 178 depending on beer and bourbon intake 57 yrs old and 11months post rotar cuff surgery and had no problems with float or paddling, the domed tail reminded me of one of Roachs Weber stratos super lift on takeoffs I made some late drops that I never thought I was going make on bottom of wave such great projection up the face,super unique board with a great update to those late 60’s involvement boards..........Thanks again for letting me ride it Roach hope it goes to a good home.
    Mango

DJR, Patrick Riley, Roach and 4 others like this.
  5. waveslider619

waveslider619 Active Member

Sep 8, 2017
    SD
  6. Fubar

Fubar Active Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I've been a mid-lengther since last March. Here what I have:
    1. 8-2 Trimcraft Haley Pin
    2. 8-4 Clandestino
    3. 8-4 Hot Gen (new as of today)
    I'm doing shoulder snaps, head movements, moves the east coast can barely comprehend

Patrick Riley and shadydave like this.
  7. ParSurf

ParSurf Active Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    1B180F0F-687F-40B2-AE5C-B0908D3CF5B7.jpeg This thing is a lot of fun under head high. Gets a really weird speed limit feeling when it really starts moving on bigger surf. Like a rev limiter.

DJR likes this.
  8. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Dig the resume & ride report. Thanks.

Patrick Riley likes this.
  9. waveslider619

waveslider619 Active Member

Sep 8, 2017
    SD
    What bottom contour? Belly, concave, or flat?

10. ParSurf

ParSurf Active Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    Tons of belly all the way. 8’ and 3.25 thick but extremely foiled. Nose has some significant rocker as well. Pretty pinched rails. I would probably refer to it as a Hull with more rocker...

DJR and waveslider619 like this.