I overcame my mid-length crisis today.

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Patrick Riley, Sep 18, 2019.

1. JTS

JTS Member

Mar 24, 2005
    I like mid lengths, have a few - this is 1 of my favorites, an 8'3" DynaGlyde from Wayne Okamoto. Actually this is a remake, i rode the hell outta the original - broke it, had it put back together , eventually had Wayne remake it.
    Great board!

Attached Files:

Clomics, Artz and DanSan like this.
  2. johnxyz

johnxyz Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Hey DS, Do you mean a Morning of the Earth board from Byron Bay, Aus? Nice! I imagine pricey with shipping...

Any Cali labels you like for mid- lengths? Bing perhaps? Mitsven-Mabile? JH and CC maybe similar in pricing as ordering a MOTE from Aus.

Anyway really cool that you ordered a MOTE board!

3. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California

Oops my answer got embedded..

It really wasnt that much..$$$in fact alot less than some people are charging stateside..with a lot less pedigree...or experience..so it was worth it..especially considering shipping from down under is a bear...but kirk @ foam & function is awesome..
    However, as i have privately said to a few of you...it has to measure up to my gold standard..
    Fowlers...these boards work amazingly well..no "learning curve".."managing speed"..or whatever that means..
    So i am sure it will and ill be posting reports of mid shape madness along side my fowler reports..hakk

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Great writeup. Despite the stigmas and mediocre designs of the past, mid is where it's at these days. Fun, fast, flowy. And let's face it, it's always a nice change of pace to carry something lighter across the beach. There are still plenty of days for logging, but it's amazing how far midlengths have come in the last ten years. I'm still vibing hard on the v.Bowls, but hoping to get my hands on a hull or Hot Gen one of these days.

5. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    I agree with Chilly. And keep those on the active list! If you do get a hull, get a full-on extreme one, not a watered down version. My .02

Chilly Willy likes this.
  6. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Love me my watered down hull. Gonna try a more concentrated one next.

7. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    IMO, the deciding factor as to choosing between an "extreme" hull or a "watered down" hull is the type of break your go to, surf the most, local spot.
    And BTW, let's come up with a better term than "watered down". Marc A. uses "modified hull". Any others?

DJR, hankster and Yosh like this.
  8. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Middie Clan quiver shot coming after this storm passes. :)

dingdong and Croweater like this.
  9. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    I got you. Modified hull is less negative - no offense meant. :) The way I see it, the design factors are all a sliding scale - a little more of this means a little less of tha. I tend to like my boards on the extreme ends of the design spectrum to get as much of the experience of that design as possible. Not all do. Stay salty!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    michael likes this.
  10. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Wayne is fun to work with.

JTS likes this.