Hybrid vehicle thoughts?

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
My Prius fits my 10'3 Davenport with at least a 1/2 inch to spare :). Although it's not cool, it's a very functional car for surfing.
For all of you jamming long boards into cars, don't forget to pad between the nose and the windshield. Hard bump, braking, or a very minor accident could cost you a windshield. Also, secure the board to the passenger side so it doesn't decide to go through you if you get in an accident.

Fubar

Jul 21, 2005
Cambridge, MA
Like everyone else on this thread, I've had two Prius, 2006 and 2021 plug-in. Holds tons of boards, etc. It has a little key you can hang around your neck while surfing. Really a perfect surf vehicle.

I just got an Ioniq 5. It holds even more, including my 10'6", will with a person sitting behind me. The key here is I can stack two boards on the passenger and still the rearview mirror. 300 mile range. Also has a little key. Like the Prius, the passenger headrest comes off and the seat folds down far enough to make a decent deck for boards.

I also tried the Tesla 3 and the Y. The three can hold one longboard, but the rearview mirror is partially blocked. Unfortunately, both rear seats have to be folded down when doing this. The Y has a similar cargo space as the Ioniq. But, the headrest on the 3 and the Y is very hard to remove and the front seat back cannot go down as far. It makes more of a "fulcrum" for boards because the seat back tapers up. Because the Y is so roomy, I put a tub under the tail of the boards so it was resting on the dash and the tub, not the seat back. Tesla has the advantage of being unlocked with an NFC card, which is cheap and waterproof.

Glide&Flow

Jun 1, 2021
CenCoastCa
The one thing I noticed after five days of driving a Prius is this almost visceral desire to drive slow to maximize fuel efficiency whilst in the passing lane. It’s the damndest thing…
I got a '22 Prius a little over month ago and have become an absolute slave to the "HV system" indicator, trying to keep it under EV power as much as humanly possible without being a total dick. It's hard not to feel like an asshole driving 55 in a 65 mph zone on Hwy 1, but I've found that just that little change makes a surprising difference in fuel economy, as does running the AC. Best mpg I've gotten is 61, but that was on a tank where I didn't run the AC at all and probably didn't have to get on the 101. Going 55 on the 101 ain't cool I've learned.

It is funny how much that car changes your driving behavior. Makes me wish there was a "Prius only" lane. And just an FYI for you, the mpg indicator on the car is off by about 3 to 4 mpg. The car will say you're getting 60, but actually it will be 57 when you do the calculation the next time you fill up

If anyone is looking for a new one, I believe that the only dealership in CA not adding the $4K to $8K "Market Adjustment" is Longo Toyota in El Monte. I have been on their waiting list for a prius prime since early April and they told me it would be 3 to 6 months. For the time being I am keeping my space on the list in case the next gen is released this fall. At my local dealership, they had the new all electric toyota suv and they were charging $15k "Market Adjustment" over the msrp.

xaaronx

Jun 12, 2021
Wilmington, NC
For all of you jamming long boards into cars, don't forget to pad between the nose and the windshield. Hard bump, braking, or a very minor accident could cost you a windshield. Also, secure the board to the passenger side so it doesn't decide to go through you if you get in an accident.
For real. I myself lost a windshield that way.

fluidworks

Dec 1, 2019
San Luis Obispo, CA
I got a '22 Prius a little over month ago and have become an absolute slave to the "HV system" indicator, trying to keep it under EV power as much as humanly possible without being a total dick. It's hard not to feel like an asshole driving 55 in a 65 mph zone on Hwy 1, but I've found that just that little change makes a surprising difference in fuel economy, as does running the AC. Best mpg I've gotten is 61, but that was on a tank where I didn't run the AC at all and probably didn't have to get on the 101. Going 55 on the 101 ain't cool I've learned.

It is funny how much that car changes your driving behavior. Makes me wish there was a "Prius only" lane. And just an FYI for you, the mpg indicator on the car is off by about 3 to 4 mpg. The car will say you're getting 60, but actually it will be 57 when you do the calculation the next time you fill up

If anyone is looking for a new one, I believe that the only dealership in CA not adding the $4K to $8K "Market Adjustment" is Longo Toyota in El Monte. I have been on their waiting list for a prius prime since early April and they told me it would be 3 to 6 months. For the time being I am keeping my space on the list in case the next gen is released this fall. At my local dealership, they had the new all electric toyota suv and they were charging $15k "Market Adjustment" over the msrp.
We can all agree Toyota SLO sucks ass. Went in there interested in a sienna van to replace our Subaru and they wanted a 1k non-refundable deposit to get on an interest list. Pass.

Last edited:

icecreamheadache

Jan 14, 2006

Thanks for the info! That’s a lot that woulda taken my dumb ass like four years to figure out!

Glide&Flow

Jun 1, 2021
CenCoastCa
We can all agree Toyota SLO sucks ass. Went in there interested in a sienna van to replace our Subaru and they wanted a 1k non-refundable deposit to get on an interest list. Pass.
Yep the salesguy I was originally working with there was a complete moron, total typical carsalesman douchbag. I don't think that what he told you about the deposit being nonrefundable is correct, likely lying. But they would've charged you $5k over sticker with their dealer adjustment. Those guys pissed me off so bad I ended up going to Santa Maria. Turns out both spots are under the same ownership but I lucked into a decent rep at SM, I mean he just wasn't a complete tool and found a '22 that someone brought back with 3k miles on it, so didn't get hit with the big upcharge on a brand new one. But there is zero negotiating. Pretty much the worst time in the history of the world to be in the market for a car, though generally the market is softening due to how the interest rate hikes are starting to have an effect on the economy, but not for any EV or hybrid obviously because of the price of gas.

Yosh

Jan 31, 2019
El Segundo
Our recent purchase of 2014 Prius 4 with 89K miles was $20K. So there is still deals out there. Like everyone mentioned, first thing out of finance mouth was "we are not here to negotiate". Knowing how the market is, we signed it immediately. It's riding strong like a beast in a Prius sense lol
Buying off leased car used to be the stupidest way to shop but we bought off our 2019 Ford Flex recently also with contracted remaining for $18K and although we spent $ for 3 years already, felt like a super deal as the same year/mileage (less maintained) used ones in the lot were going for way over $30K which some were higher than the actual MSRP in 2019 brand new....