Hybrid vehicle thoughts?

Proper_Mode

Jan 8, 2016
USA California
Chrysler minivan can run about 30 miles on electricity only I think. I’m waiting to see how the Toyota’s go. Can’t beat the daddy wagon on batteries for hauling stuff.

ugoinright?

Sep 13, 2020
The OC Bubble
I’ve owned a Prius V for the last ten years. Was averaging ~50mpg if I was careful with the accelerator. Have also fit 10’ boards prior to installation of child seats. The mpg from the car is an overestimate in my experience. When calculating actual miles and gallons consumed, it was always a few mpg lower than displayed on the dashboard. Very utilitarian in my view but do not enjoy the fishtailing experience when going downhill and breaking. Unsure if others have experienced something similar? Not a speed demon am I…

My non-V Prius doesn't do that when going downhill and braking. Have you try shifting into B when going downhill? It keeps the regen on so you can use less of the brakes.

icecreamheadache

Jan 14, 2006
Out of curiosity, how much did you end paying? I've been trying to find a 2013-2016 and prices are ridiculous, even for ones way over 100k miles.
Prices are nuckin futs. I paid $20k for one with 120k miles on it that looked new and had been dealer maintained since new. It was highway robbery. No dealers in Ventura or Oxnard had any new hybrids (gotta leave a deposit and they’ll put you on “the list” for when they come in, though no one seems to know when they will arrive) and the used ones were asininely expensive. $15k for a beat Prius with 171k on it. $30-38k for Prius primes with 100-200k on em. Dealer said, “Before we spend time on these you should know we aren’t entertaining offers or fudging on prices. We get these in and they are all gone within 48 hours, so the prices are what they are, take em or leave em. The financing rates also suck.” My ‘04 E350 with the 6.0 diesel was costing $200 a week for work commuting so an expensive ass used car was still significantly cheaper than buying diesel from even the cheap gas station. I’m beginning to think oil companies don’t got our best interests in mind when it’s $7 a gallon/$100 a barrel and it was $4.60 a gallon/$100 a barrel two years ago.

Hatin2perl

May 25, 2021
SoCal
My non-V Prius doesn't do that when going downhill and braking. Have you try shifting into B when going downhill? It keeps the regen on so you can use less of the brakes.
I have tried B and the grade of the hills around my home area is not very steep. I have wondered whether it’s the back weight due to the larger hatchback area that’s impacting the Prius V, but it is mere conjecture at this point.

MASErides

Nov 18, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Prices are nuckin futs. I paid $20k for one with 120k miles on it that looked new and had been dealer maintained since new. It was highway robbery. No dealers in Ventura or Oxnard had any new hybrids (gotta leave a deposit and they’ll put you on “the list” for when they come in, though no one seems to know when they will arrive) and the used ones were asininely expensive. $15k for a beat Prius with 171k on it. $30-38k for Prius primes with 100-200k on em. Dealer said, “Before we spend time on these you should know we aren’t entertaining offers or fudging on prices. We get these in and they are all gone within 48 hours, so the prices are what they are, take em or leave em. The financing rates also suck.” My ‘04 E350 with the 6.0 diesel was costing $200 a week for work commuting so an expensive ass used car was still significantly cheaper than buying diesel from even the cheap gas station. I’m beginning to think oil companies don’t got our best interests in mind when it’s $7 a gallon/$100 a barrel and it was $4.60 a gallon/$100 a barrel two years ago.
This covid, post covid used market is astonishing. It really is for a variety of goods and services... I never thought I'd see people pay over asking price for cars, dealers not entertain offers, or the possibility of my BEAT Prius (that I love) possibly appreciate in value????????????

SC surf

Jun 9, 2019
Charleston,SC
Now, this is hard to believe but this Winter while helping a friend at his house I saw a car parked under it. Without knowing I asked what it was I asked and he told me a 2007 Prius and said it had been there for a number of years and was moving and going to sell it. he told me I could have it for 300 dollars because it wouldn't start. I knew nothing about Hybrids but for 300 what the heck. Did some youtube research invested about 2 K and now have a 2007 with 46 thousand miles that I drive everywhere. I would get a hybrid van at the drop of a hat. The racks cost more than the car and I call my friend often to thank him.

ugoinright?

Sep 13, 2020
The OC Bubble
Now, this is hard to believe but this Winter while helping a friend at his house I saw a car parked under it. Without knowing I asked what it was I asked and he told me a 2007 Prius and said it had been there for a number of years and was moving and going to sell it. he told me I could have it for 300 dollars because it wouldn't start. I knew nothing about Hybrids but for 300 what the heck. Did some youtube research invested about 2 K and now have a 2007 with 46 thousand miles that I drive everywhere. I would get a hybrid van at the drop of a hat. The racks cost more than the car and I call my friend often to thank him.

Now you got to tell us what the 2k was for.