Hybrid vehicle thoughts?

icecreamheadache

Jan 14, 2006
Thanks for the feedback y’all! I ended up pulling the trigger on a 2015 Prius. After looking at Honda CRVs and the Toyota Rav4s, the Prius’ smaller storage area was outweighed by its fuel economy and fact I could get a super clean used one. Appreciate the thoughts!

Yosh

Jan 31, 2019
El Segundo
Thanks for the feedback y’all! I ended up pulling the trigger on a 2015 Prius. After looking at Honda CRVs and the Toyota Rav4s, the Prius’ smaller storage area was outweighed by its fuel economy and fact I could get a super clean used one. Appreciate the thoughts!
Nice! I forgot to note not to get 2nd gen Prius as 3rd gen have lower chance of getting the converter chopped, but glad you got a 2015!

Reactions: XXX

MASErides

Nov 18, 2020
Long Beach, CA
2011 Toyota prius, I average 45 mpg now that I don't play the mpg game with the power/fuel efficiency indicators. Now costs me about $50 to fill up (Cali), it used to be about $30-35 a tank. I could fit my 9'11 DR mega in it. It also has the detachable key that I can put in my wetsuit so I can still lock the car! I hope she never dies!

CantDecide

Oct 19, 2020
USA
I have a 2012 Prius (which I got after owning a 2009 Toyota Prius). I love them. I get 45 mpg and I can fit a 10'7" Nozzle in it if I put both back seats down and angle it a bit. I can fit my 10'1" Fish Simmons in it with only the one back seat down. Prius owners call them the "ultimate surf vehicle" and I tend to agree. Just the other day I put an 8'5" single fin, an 8'11" drifter and a 10' eagle in it and only had to put down one seat and got 45 mpg all the way to the beach and back. Can't really beat that. I'll only sell mine when Toyota makes an all electric Prius since I just got solar so I won't have to pay for gas.

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego
Prius is a great car - I had one for over ten years. Cargo is fine, but gets real small if you have a family or any needs other than gear.

I think the best bang for the buck is the Toyota Sienna minivan hybrid - tons of cargo + awd + like 39 mpg - they're close to 40K, but hold their value. I wanted to get one but my wife wasn't ready for that minivan life just yet - so we got a grand Cherokee for about the same price. Def a cooler ride - but nowhere near as much utility as that minivan.

Bummer Dude

Jul 8, 2019
Oak View
Prius is a great car - I had one for over ten years. Cargo is fine, but gets real small if you have a family or any needs other than gear.

I think the best bang for the buck is the Toyota Sienna minivan hybrid - tons of cargo + awd + like 39 mpg - they're close to 40K, but hold their value. I wanted to get one but my wife wasn't ready for that minivan life just yet - so we got a grand Cherokee for about the same price. Def a cooler ride - but nowhere near as much utility as that minivan.

My dad has one, can confirm its awesome. He's so proud of being able to drive 8 people at once (him, his wife, my sister, her husband, me, my wife, and our two kids) :D. Then fold down the seats and carry 4 bicycles and luggage.

Also if you're not ready for the minivan life, maybe the highlander hybrid is a good option. Same price point, about the same mileage, and at least for the non-hybrids had the same "platform" as the sienna. Gives you a little more clearance for places further afield.

gostop

Jan 29, 2021
Pasadena
I have a 2012 Prius (which I got after owning a 2009 Toyota Prius). I love them. I get 45 mpg and I can fit a 10'7" Nozzle in it if I put both back seats down and angle it a bit. I can fit my 10'1" Fish Simmons in it with only the one back seat down. Prius owners call them the "ultimate surf vehicle" and I tend to agree. Just the other day I put an 8'5" single fin, an 8'11" drifter and a 10' eagle in it and only had to put down one seat and got 45 mpg all the way to the beach and back. Can't really beat that. I'll only sell mine when Toyota makes an all electric Prius since I just got solar so I won't have to pay for gas.
Man, some compelling reasons for taking a hard look at a hybrid here. I’ve got a 10’er that fits easily in my V8 (always preferred inside over rack), never imagined fitting one into a Prius. And 45 mpg :(
These days it’s costing me around 40 bucks for two weekend sessions, with how thirsty my ride is.

Hatin2perl

May 25, 2021
SoCal
I’ve owned a Prius V for the last ten years. Was averaging ~50mpg if I was careful with the accelerator. Have also fit 10’ boards prior to installation of child seats. The mpg from the car is an overestimate in my experience. When calculating actual miles and gallons consumed, it was always a few mpg lower than displayed on the dashboard. Very utilitarian in my view but do not enjoy the fishtailing experience when going downhill and breaking. Unsure if others have experienced something similar? Not a speed demon am I…

fluidworks

Dec 1, 2019
San Luis Obispo, CA

Out of curiosity, how much did you end paying? I've been trying to find a 2013-2016 and prices are ridiculous, even for ones way over 100k miles.