How was your surf today?....share your stoke!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Cuttlefish, Sep 27, 2012.

1. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    I have to share in Eric's story. Headed west to SD hoping to get some solid days in the water. Only to find rain every day with really brown water. First time getting skunked so I guess I was due for a clunker.

2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Sometimes it pays to think like a grom. I've got a surf buddy who is in his upper-20s but still easily qualifies as a grom since he's still pretty new to surfing and has a voracious appetite to paddle out in pretty much anything. Big, small, or non-existent -- anything to get wet and scratch his newfound surf itch. On Monday, the wind was howling, air was cold, and the waves looked not at all worth it. He talked me into bringing my twin keel fish out after work. Ugh. I had absolutely zero interest in getting cold for those crummy conditions, but I didn't want to be a poor sport either, so I suited up anyway. I grumbled to myself all the way down to the water. I have got to admit, everything turned around as soon as I got my first wave. We had a nice little time splitting the peak on some small thigh+ high zippers. No one else in sight, just us trading off waves by the pier for about an hour until the full moon revealed itself from behind a cloud. A lot more fun than I thought. Huh. I never would have bothered otherwise, but I'm glad he talked me into it.

dingdong, Salinity, Driftwood and 4 others like this.
  3. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    Me this morning! Didn't want to go out but my wife and I were there and the moon and sky were lighting everything up. Saw maybe one set that we could surf but she said she saw more and so we paddled out. No wind at all, clear water. I got several good waves with a few nice chest to head high clean lefts and a smoking long right "nearly there" nose-ride to the paddle-in channel. Beautiful clear skies and sunrise. I had to go to work so I went in. A couple of local heavies were hanging out mocking the surf and saying how bad it was and telling their friends it was terrible. But these guys, I only ever see them standing on the beach. Great reminder Chilly!

Chilly Willy and Driftwood like this.
  4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Ha ha! We have these same guys too, standing around with a cup of coffee talking about how they'd go out if it were a little better, bigger, smaller, warmer, etc. (Of course, I've been guilty of the same from time to time.) We always laugh because it seems like these guys are always at the beach with their boards, but never actually riding their boards.

dsquare likes this.
  5. Salinity

Salinity Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    It’s amazing what tempered expectations can do for a session. I’ve had a couple over the past couple weeks where I considered not going in due to marginal conditions (read: no one else even bothering), but ended up having a really good time. I find sometimes when it’s on I can let frustration creep in if the waves / rides don’t meet my condition-based expectations - not the case in marginal surf - it’s all gravy.

Chilly Willy, dingdong and michael like this.
  6. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    I know ..double post...sorry
    Super stoked with my ward coffey
    ..between this and my fowlers..yowza..

Rockview..sewers. eastside santa cruz
    930-1130...tide getting fatter...swell getting bigger...only 5 guys...all friends..
    Does it get any better?
    I say...not! Ha

Attached Files:

7. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Raining, cold and empty.

Attached Files:

DanSan likes this.
  8. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Peak..did you get some?
    Cold ..rainy..shifty..empty east coast waves..sounds good to me..ha

9. glidewaves

glidewaves Active Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA New Jersey,Maryland
    Found this empty A-frame in Avon on Friday, great fun going both waves and the sun even came out.

Attached Files:

michael likes this.
  10. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Nahh. Didn't go out. Been working on a few projects at the house..indoor stuff. Heading out to AZ Friday for a week+.
    Hoping winter is gone when we get back!