How to loosen a quad setup?

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
I have a quad setup that has a bit too much grab. If i want to loosen it up is it reducing the front, the rear or both. I cant seem to find a website with a definite answer. Also is the a rule in design like split keel vs standard? I dont have a ton of experience with quads. They either seem to be fast and loose or too grabby. I do understand how the fin box placement of the rears effect the performance.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Conventional wisdom is to reduce the rears to loosen things up. Overall smaller fin set will give less hold / drive and less stiffness

Also generally a conventional upright quad set is looser than a split keel quad ( speedialler style ) but has less lateral drive

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
quads in the quiver for decades...whereas fin size is important, fin placement more so...how close are they bunched together, and how far off the rail are the trailers...personally dislike quads with the rear set closer to the rail, too much 'claw'....the Rusty formula works really well for looser, down the line runners that will easily turn....rears splitting the distance from stringer to rail...on a stock board front fins at 12" (measure from rear of them) and rears at 6" from tail

Rusty did an excellent two part series on quads, titled 'Quadrophenia', now locked behind the Surfline paywall for members only.

Personal fave for stock quad sets is the Simon Andersons SA series, sized medium to large depending on rider and board

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
Switch to small upright rears. Grab some cheap composition units and cut/grind/sand ‘em down til you’re happy. I prefer same cant as fronts, but that’s not common.