How many liters?.....WTF

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Tenfooter, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Actually, that's a good point. A bowling ball is going to have the same volume as a beach ball of the same size. If you pulled them both completely under water, they would displace the same amount of water, right? But the beach ball will float and bowling ball will sink. Does EPS float differently than PU? I guess it comes down to the density of the PU, which could different float characteristics. Hmmm.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Gil

Gil New Member

Jul 31, 2020
    Virginia Beach
    Yeah, I’m personally not a fan of the liter system, but I understand where people are coming from. If you’ve been a surfer long enough, you typically know how floaty a board is by looking at the measurements. I think the liter system is trying to “fine tune” everything so that people can just look and see how many liters something is instead of having to be familiar with reading measurements. I see the efficiency of it though. If you know that your preference is a minimum of 40 liters and you see a board with less, it makes it simple when deciding if the board is for you. Again, I don’t really care about it, but I have started to have the question asked a lot when selling boards. For that, I found this liter calculator so I can give them an estimate and save back and forth questions/time

https://nulltuul.com/surfboards-guide/surfboard-volume-calculator/

3. Finward

Finward Active Member

Jan 16, 2012
    USA
    Buyer: how many liters is it?
    Me: are we talking actual liters or emotional liters?
    Buyer: is there a difference because I feel like I need a 42.5 liter?
    Me: yes there is and this board is 42.5 liter
    Buyer: ok perfect I really have been looking for that but is this emotional or actual?
    Me: sounds to me like it’s emotional

4. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    This was posted today by Matt Kinoshita from Maui. A disciple of Ben Aipa.
    Matt posts his build process regularly. Check him out. As a non shaper (me) it is very insightful.
    Follow the thread here:

https://www.instagram.com/kazumasurfboardshawaii/

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 6.40.55 PM.png

njrider, jonbiz and Driftwood like this.
  5. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Dislacment is diffrent the volume. Your analogy is semi correct. The two balls held underwater would displace the same amount of water. If you have two ships of of the same volume one is a flat bottom barge and the other has a deep keel design. The flat bottom would float higher in the water. Then the keeled Ship both has the same displacement The barge floats higher due to the spread of the barge over a larger surface area.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Thank goodness there are no ‘displacement’ numbers being marketed by surfboard manufacturers. Maybe they would have to account for payload at a given speed!

Artz, dingpatch and hankster like this.
  7. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    over heard emanating from a male human (exhibiting a “man bun”) in the line up today:

“if only I had a few more liters of volume, then I could of caught that wave”.

8. SMUKES

SMUKES Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Just a few more "Litres"

9. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    We need a new thread that couples together this "volume" discussion with all the other aspects of our need to know that "our" board is much more better than anybody else's! You know; "My rails are BETTER than your rails, , , , ," LOL

10. Bighouse

Bighouse Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Haha. Also re: paddling & volume. I have two boards shaped by the same guy. Both 5’8. One has a variable concave running from nose to tail. The other is your standard shortboard double to v. (I think that what it is). Anyway - the concave board paddles like a much longer board, catches waves like a much longer board. The other board feels like a dud when paddling (after paddling the concave board). Also - no volume listed but I bet they are pretty freaking close.

Lackosense likes this.