How many liters?.....WTF

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Tenfooter, Aug 5, 2020.

1. japsom

japsom Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    USA California
    until you get your preferred dimensions and design elements figured out, estimated volume is a super helpful way to begin gauging the right size of board for you.

my surfing progress increased significantly when I started understanding how big of a board I needed based on the volume given. for example, 30L and I never catch waves, 50L and it feels like a cork - do I want that or not... so 40L give or take 5 works pretty well. You can do the same trial and error with the width and/or thickness.

this is actually a pretty funny argument saying "linear dimension folk are the chosen ones", but "volume measurement folk are kooks". they're just numbers trying to give us information to achieve the same goal.

i don't see how having more or better information is so annoying or why anyone wouldn't want to dial in their ride using whatever data they have to make it make sense. I know now better than to try and ask or figure out volume on a handshaped board but I had to learn how to judge that for myself at some point and after a lot of trial and error.

but even for longboards it's an easy quick gauge for how hard do I want to work to paddle vs how much control do I want to maneuver if considering other similar design elements.

Also, you can estimate volume without a machine it's just math. the more measurement points you use the more precise your estimate will be.

2. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Might be a better idea of how many cases of beer will a board support. Then We could have an argument weath the board would float light Beer better. Or what style Beer is best for board floating. An IPA, Lager, Pilsner. Of course a Guinness Stout would need a board with more volume.

japsom likes this.
  3. WhiteRussian

WhiteRussian Active Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Boston Harbor
    Don't forget: cans or bottles

4. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Just sink your board into a swimming pool filled to the brim and see how much water it displaces. Come on Sebastian use your head

Tenfooter and japsom like this.
  5. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Well, it does matter for shortboards, at least for me. Too much volume and they're a bitch to control or duck dive; too little and they're difficult in average surf. I have no idea why anyone would care about that in a longboard. Just look at the thing and lift it up, and someone should know what to expect.

walkingtheplank and bobsacamano like this.
  6. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    Just another measurement in the equation to help find the right board for you. Length, width, thickness, volume, etc., nothing wrong with more information, but using it as the only measurement is a big mistake.

WesCantDress and Artz like this.
  7. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    Simple solution:

"How many liters is this longboard"
    "Oh, great question, let me check my notes... how many liters are you looking for?"
    "85L"
    "Oh awesome, this one is actually 84.75 last time I measured, is that something you'd consider?"

8. applebutter

applebutter Member

Aug 23, 2008
    not sure it matters as much for longboards or standard thrusters. but for all the modern hybrid/groveler/small wave boards its really helpful to understand what to go after

kclibman and NJ Longboarder like this.
  9. dubstar

dubstar Member

Nov 9, 2019
    I'll never know, ask, or care for any of my boards vintage or new.

Tenfooter likes this.
  10. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Why are all board measurements world wide in inches? Yet volume is in liters?

pintail and WhiteRussian like this.