HOW IMPORTANT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE TO YOU?

waveglider619

Sep 8, 2017
SD
Here's another customer that is relative to what we are discussing:
----------------------------------------------------

Hey Bruce, Wilson here, formerly of Mollusk SF (circa ‘13-‘15). Not sure if you'd remember me, but we sold a lot of V-Machines in my time there, and I finally want to get one for myself! I just wanted to check in and figure out all the basics from you as far as price, time frame and most importantly sizing.
So my stats: 39, 205lbs, intermediate skill level and full weekend warrior status now due to work, living in Oakland and a having baby on the way. I really want every surf session I get now to matter and wave count is my top priority. I’m primarily surfing OB SF or Linda Mar in Pacifica, so beach breaks differing in size power and quality. The ability to still duck is definitely a plus. I really plan on making this board my “one-board-quiver”, with the exception of full on logging days. I’ve been thinking about a 7’0, but am very open to your expert opinion. My current go to is a 7’4 Larry Mabile Honey Badger with a twinzer setup (kind a smaller glider style board). I like it a lot, but am really searching for something that’s going to give me lots of speed right out of gates, something that is always lacking in my own surfing, and I’m thinking a wide tail board like the v-machine might be the answer.

Anyway, let me know what you think! Your boards are looking great and I’m stoked to start the convo on finally getting myself one!
Cant wait to read your answer...

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Well now, I just realized this is for his 7'0" NVM. He ordered it on 12/15/19 and I shaped the board that day and it was on Amtrak for the New Year. He now sent an email saying he and his wife are "priced out of the Bay area and are now moving back home to Florida. Said he wants a 7'6" for the soft little mush back there and the movers will pick everything up on August 14th. I told him no problemo, board will be done and there well before moving day.

You wanted to see my response on the 7'0", so here it is:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Glad to hear from you.
I think the 7'0" in the New V Machine is a good call for all the details, weight, etc that you have listed here. I'd suggest we do it in the 3-4-5 fin option and go with the Futures fin system unless you have a large quiver of FCS fins, which is an option.

I include the fins that will work well with the board & also offer Fin Upgrade" packages @ my cost. Using Amtrak to ship to you is the absolute very best way to get the board up to you. They treat them as "Baggage" vs "Freight" and take gr8 care of them. They even call you when it arrives & you have 48 hrs. to P/U before they put it in secured storage @ $10/day. I ship all over the country this way, and everyone likes the service, price, and safe handling w/o damage. Cost to Oakland Station is $65.

What I do is pack the boards securely in full bubble wrap before slipping the board into a quality 5mm board bag which I make available to customers @ my cost. In this case $35. So with Amtrak & new bag total cost for transport is $100. Clear sanded 5 fins including fins run $650 so for $750 you have a new custom board delivered to Oakland station in your new board bag.

For your weight, cold water & wearing a wetsuit, the 7'0"x22-1/2"x3-1/8" 55 Liters would offer a versatile comfortable size to go. I could shape the board early this week and if it a clear sanded board or just has a one color deck arch it probably would be done right before we break for Xmas. If you want to go with a deck arch and/or pinline , I would throw that in for free for you.

Please feel free to throw any other questions to me that you may have. I can also ship the board to your home or office via Fed Ex , but it isn't handled as well and costs more. Otherwise if you are still on good terms with Mollusk SF, you could see if they will receive it when Leon Fitchat makes his Nor Cal run sometime after Xmas.

--
Bruce Fowler
1765 Viborg Rd.
Solvang CA 93463

Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
France
Customer service is paramount in my book, and definitely in my purchasing decisions. And I see that as a before, during, and after-sale affair.

Bruce, one of the reasons (besides the obvious of being intrigued by your shapes!) that I have wanted one of your boards is your willingness to go into detailed explanations, and to answer questions.

When the world settles down a bit, we'll get that back on track.

shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
USA California
There’s every bit of info a client should ever need.
Customer service and word of mouth is priceless, you can’t buy it.
Recently I had a custom that was wanted by the 24th of June for a surf trip.
Ten days out I began a daily reminder at the glass shop that it was 10-9-8-7-6-5 days from completion.
On the 23rd when it wasn’t polished I got to the factory early, did the rub out, called the client in S.Pasadena and said I’d hand deliver.
It wasn’t a big deal to do what the client expected in the first place.
Build hundreds and do a great job, F-up and burn or disappoint a client and they’ll never forget.
You’re only as good as your last board

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
Ten days out I began a daily reminder at the glass shop that it was 10-9-8-7-6-5 days from completion.
On the 23rd when it wasn’t polished I got to the factory early, did the rub out, called the client in S.Pasadena and said I’d hand deliver.
Build hundreds and do a great job, F-up and burn or disappoint a client and they’ll never forget.
That is a great outlook. Yes! Sometimes you gotta do what you have to do to get the job done. I completely agree with the last two sentences and good word of mouth is priceless. You got it!

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California

............................... "You’re only as good as your last board"........................................

THIS IS ABSOLUTE TRUTH!!!!!

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
I suggest to people, that when they order, if they NEED A BOARD BY A CERTAIN DATE............ TELL THE SHAPER AND EVERYONE DOWN THE LINE A FALSE DATE THAT GIVES YOU WIGGLE ROOM.......... OR MORE LIKE 3,5, 7 DAYS FROM THE REAL DATE.