How do you guys fly with your boards?

Zapp

Aug 29, 2020
SoCal
Never flown with boards before and real concerned about board damage. Bringing a 6’4 and an 8’. Ever get any damage despite packing well in a padded board bag? I picked up an 8’9” Santa Monica Hard Case and I’m thinking I’ll just use that but it’s a PITA to haul around but I guess it’s worth it if it gives me peace of mind. Anyone have experience with hard cases? I welcome any tips, tricks, suggestions, etc. when it comes to traveling with boards

Last edited:

applebutter

Aug 23, 2008
you can use any bag, even the lightest day use ones. wrap your rails with pipe/foam insulation, or the noodles you see people using in pools. Use bubble wrap (large bubbles) to wrap the board all over. cardboard or the nose and tail blocks from Stay Covered to protect those areas. Do not put anything else in your board bag like wetsuits or towels. The lighter the better.

Never had any dings, dents, or issues doing it this way.

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
you can use any bag, even the lightest day use ones. wrap your rails with pipe/foam insulation, or the noodles you see people using in pools. Use bubble wrap (large bubbles) to wrap the board all over. cardboard or the nose and tail blocks from Stay Covered to protect those areas. Do not put anything else in your board bag like wetsuits or towels. The lighter the better.

Never had any dings, dents, or issues doing it this way.

XO

Zapp

Aug 29, 2020
SoCal
if you guys had a hard case, would you guys keep the hard case or buy a coffin bag with wheels or something even lighter? I completely see the merit of keeping it light and less hassle for the bag handlers, and that would be easier for me to travel with too but not sure if a 8’ long board is more at risk in a bag and still a little heavy if it’s with a second board. But everything in the hard case is cumbersome enough that a bag handler might not be too pleased with it and handle it accordingly lol

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
2 boards in day bags stuffed in one travel bag
or
1 board with pool noodles on the rails in a travel bag.
or
board in hexi-flexi stuff in any bag

Bring ding repair stuff cause shit happens, and as Smukes recommended, take off the shoulder straps before handing them over.

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
Just so we're clear, its not about "hassles" for baggage handlers. The guy loading the plane under your seat needs to be able to safely lift the boards over his head, from a kneeling position to put it on top of the stacked suitcases. He can't get another guy to help etc... because there's only room in there for one person. This goes for 737's, Airbus' and Commuter Aircraft. Just be sensible and if you get damage, realize its part of the game. I've posted all the tips and advice on some other thread somewhere.