Horses for courses or one hammer for every nail?

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
Hijacking this thread to comment on the just completed Malibu longboard contest. Tudor takes it, and watching him is inspiring. I recall feeling the same inspiration watching him on 'mid-sized' boards.
But it does get old when every competitor on every wave walks up, perches, does a flat cutback to the pocket, walks up, perches... yawn.

I recall that in Australia they once had (still do?) mid-length contests.

Enter the mid-length, mini-tanker, funboard... single board quiver approach.

Anybody from Down Under know the status of mid length contests? What lengths or measurements are(were) allowed? I believe there's room for another competition category (not that I'm among contests biggest fans) that would combine glide with carves in a way that shortboard and longboard contests do not.

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
I have a vague recollection that the 'Mini Mal' class was an informal feature of some local clubbie contests in Oz in the mid-90s. Don't recall any formal criteria, but maybe @Bman76 or @davey remember something.

I do remember a friend reaching the (shortboard) final of a local club contest in the late 90s whilst riding a Mini Mal (aka Funboard, midlength etc.) as the waves were weak and shapeless and it was the best tool for the job. He surfed well and was linking turns where everyone else was hopping through flat sections.

A Displacement Hull anti-contest would be fun.. He/She who moves the least and goes fastest wins lol

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
one of the duct tapes had a mid contest and the deus event in bali did a couple of years ago too, no idea of their criteria though

Nilus

Jun 30, 2008
In a recent stab survey, they had a question about what type of alternative contest to do next. I proposed CT surfers on displacement hulls at Huntington Pier.

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
I would like to have a board for point break waves...like a Peck Penetrator...but we have zero point breaks in NJ. It's all beach break/sandbar waves. The beaches with jetties seem to take bigger, long period swells better than the other breaks as in better form and fewer closeouts. I stick with mostly one board in summer and fall and a slightly longer one in winter and spring...mostly to compensate for the added weight of a full suit, boots, gloves. Shortest I ride now is an 8'6" epoxy...in summer. My summer/fall board was made by a local shaper that understands NJ beach break waves. My winter 9'6" 50/50 was shaped by Hank Byzak...but that guy gets it universally.

Bman76

Oct 27, 2016
Australia
I have a vague recollection that the 'Mini Mal' class was an informal feature of some local clubbie contests in Oz in the mid-90s. Don't recall any formal criteria, but maybe @Bman76 or @davey remember something.

I do remember a friend reaching the (shortboard) final of a local club contest in the late 90s whilst riding a Mini Mal (aka Funboard, midlength etc.) as the waves were weak and shapeless and it was the best tool for the job. He surfed well and was linking turns where everyone else was hopping through flat sections.

A Displacement Hull anti-contest would be fun.. He/She who moves the least and goes fastest wins lol
I don't recall anything specifically other than the standard shortboard comp, longboard comp and the occasional single fin comp. Sounds like a good idea though. What would be the rules? Boards above 6'10, but under 9? Long fish included? Beard/and or stache optional?

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
I don't recall anything specifically other than the standard shortboard comp, longboard comp and the occasional single fin comp. Sounds like a good idea though. What would be the rules? Boards above 6'10, but under 9? Long fish included? Beard/and or stache optional?
I only read one article somewhere, maybe mid to late '90's. In the photos boards appeared to be full template and 7 to 8 1/2 feet long. It gave the impression that there were other similar comps in Australia, but I don't recall details.

davey

Jun 9, 2007
Australia

I can't remember the clubbie contests having Mini Mals. The University games surfing comps may have had mid lengths but somehow I can't picture it.

kpd73

May 8, 2013
USA Rhode Island
Hijacking this thread to comment on the just completed Malibu longboard contest. Tudor takes it, and watching him is inspiring. I recall feeling the same inspiration watching him on 'mid-sized' boards.
But it does get old when every competitor on every wave walks up, perches, does a flat cutback to the pocket, walks up, perches... yawn.

I recall that in Australia they once had (still do?) mid-length contests.

Enter the mid-length, mini-tanker, funboard... single board quiver approach.

Anybody from Down Under know the status of mid length contests? What lengths or measurements are(were) allowed? I believe there's room for another competition category (not that I'm among contests biggest fans) that would combine glide with carves in a way that shortboard and longboard contests do not.

The Deus guys used to rack this mid-board contest in Indo every year...