Horses for courses or one hammer for every nail?

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
i have 17 now and have had as many as 30. It's pointless to have more than 2-3 or 4 max. It's been fun experimenting and learning to ride different sizes and shapes but I dont think that it improved my surfing much and definitely not as much as if I'd just stuck with 1 or 2 boards. Or ideally, gone on surf trips instead of adding a new whateversthelatest to the pile. The only rational reason I can think of for having as many as I do is where I live it is extremely difficult to get the types of boards I like to surf without ordering custom.

The North East pattern long periods of flatness between days of 8 sec wind swell surf doesnt help either. It can be frustrating. If I was back in SD I could see my opinion shift somewhat but simply due to the ridiculous amount of water time that can be had not to mention the access to decent used boards.

Imo having a bunch of surfboards ( unless you are a pro or influencer lol) has very little to do with surfing.

Zufeldt

Apr 6, 2021
Los Angeles
My daily base is a beach break that sports a variety of waves. Starting out with a house board was perfect and I like these for their grab and go versatility, but they don’t hold up well durability wise. This advent sent me looking for a better quality board, which has morphed into an enormous endeavor. I’d change up boards based on the prior days’ conditions or simply just my mood, whichever was more important.

Getting back to the question, having more options is definitely tons of fun but not a necessity, so long as the basics are covered, you’re golden.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
I am much more confident if I am paddling out on a board that I know works well for me in those particular conditions. So horses for courses.

I will say that there was something refreshingly simple about one hammer for every nail. When I got my Yater Spoon, my first traditional longboard, I rode it exclusively in absolutely everything for a solid three years. I figured out how to make it go in any conditions, big and small, steep and mellow. There were also some conditions that just weren't good surfing days. (To be fair, my palate wasn't refined enough at the time to be nitpicky about why one board would go better than the other.) The downside was that if I dinged it, I was out of the water until the repair was done. I finally went on a Jamboards board buying binge starting around 2007 and have been blessed with a shed full of stoke but cursed with a deficit of storage space ever since.

Sky

Aug 30, 2020
Southern California
Since joining I don’t think I’ve had a board buying problem, not to say that I wouldn’t like more boards. I’ve grown to become interested in a wide variety of different kinds of boards that I frankly thought I would never ever want to ride, just by reading old and current threads on here. I’ve said it before, if it wasn’t for Jamboards, I’d probably be riding a potato chip.

NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
Imo having a bunch of surfboards ( unless you are a pro or influencer lol) has very little to do with surfing.

I agree with this. If we had more consistent waves, I wouldn't day dream as much and wonder what how other types of boards would surf. Only way to find out how a board surfs is to buy it and try it. If you ever think a board you have doesn't work well, let a good surfer borrow it and you will quickly realize the problem is not the board.

When the waves are good, my go to list of boards is very small. Probably 3 boards and none are longboards. If I could only have one good wave board, it would be the used pavel I picked up from cuda. I heart jamboards.

Bummer Dude

Jul 8, 2019
Oak View
Logical brain wants one/two boards for all eventualities

Chimp brain wants a private version of Bird's shed

Battle is continual with Chimp generally winning, on balance.

Have a similar conflict and been thinking about it recently - why chase new boards? I am perfectly happy with what I have (though recent purchases are making me more happy), but I still come here or lurk craigslist even though I don't NEED any more boards. I'm better now at letting boards go when I pick up something new so keeping it to 5 or 6 pretty consistently.

But back to why. I think it has to do with what getting "new" boards was like when I was first surfing. First board some weird old thruster just getting barely standing up in the whitewater. Then my uncle saw I was interested and gave me his old 9' South Coast HP longboard, then a cousin gave me big floaty 9' self-shape, then a friend found a nice 9'6" becker speed shape in their apartments garage, then I started to look for boards myself, all the while trying different friends longboards, fishes, thrusters, etc. Each time learning something about what worked for me or opening up a different kind of wave or feeling. As I became a decent surfer with my own board/boards, people stopped giving them to me and just diminishing returns, so I think in some sense the search for new boards is just trying to recapture part of that early exploratory feeling of surfing, trying to feel like new possibilities have opened up to me again.

I also find it true what @northseacruiser says, "the less I surf the more boards I want". When I'm surfing a lot, I'm probably using 1-3 boards, and not spending any time thinking about other boards. But in periods when I'm not surfing much, I spend a lot more time searching for boards I don't need.