History/Origin of Jamboards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Spritzer, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Spritzer

Spritzer Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    Does anyone know, or was anyone around, when the Jamboards forum came to be? I see by the logo, it says est 1997, I sorted the threads be earliest with results from 2004 but nothing really insightful. Those of you who have been around from the beginning of time, how have you seen change, for better and/or worse, over the years?

I used the wayback machine and looked at the site in 2007, when it looked like longboard.net, and saw the $5 fee as a way for the mod to approve accounts for those who really wanted one as so many were coming in, pretty interesting looking how the site was many years ago.

Clomics and Andrew Johnson like this.
  2. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    Not sure about the beginning, but everyone's header has their start date, or date they joined. Like Spritzer, yours is Apr 27, 2019. thats a way to determine who was around from the beginning.

3. Mango Bill

Mango Bill Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2006
    USA California
    922BE591-5ECB-47E7-87FD-BB7AE0FDDF37.jpeg

G coast, Little Al’s stew pot good times at the San Mateo campground

Makawaosurfer93, TBasch and Spritzer like this.
  4. GT

GT Active Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA California
    Boss, Lonedog, Benny, Mario, Monkeyboy, Drumhead buddha, Log Donkey, the Irish guy whose name I forget.....

Good times

5. poidog

poidog Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Miss Little Al. Straight talker, knew his stuff. A friend of Lance Carson, who didn't favor concaves. Little Al convinced him (using, if I remember correctly, a drawing on a napkin) to put one into a model that became the Power Glide, I had one once, beautifully crafted, as smooth as it looked.

I paid the five bucks to see board photos otherwise blocked, never imagined it'd lead to so many friends and solid info about board design. Yes, there are random kooks, narcissists, etc., here as anywhere, part of the price of admission. This is my only online presence, likely to remain that way.

Big shout-out to the administrator, thankless job, I really appreciate it. Thank you.

paipodude, WhiteRussian, Thor and 2 others like this.
  6. Mango Bill

Mango Bill Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2006
    USA California
    Your Breakfasts were legendary......Paddy I think, Miles van another highlight the ice cream truck of surf vans.

7. John

John Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Rehoboth Beach, DE
    actually, the original forum started around 1997 and was phased out for a new version around 2004. A lot of the members of the old forum had to “rejoin” in 2004. Not too many original members left but it’s always good to see posts from people like Mango, NJL, GT. Unfortunately some of the non-sense posts and pot stirrers drove away some of the nicest guys and gals.

the San O gatherings were a great time. Fun surf, super people, delicious food and great conversation.

miles’ van was legendary. Watching him pull amazing board out after amazing board. He must have travelled with 10-15 boards in that van.

glad I had an opportunity to meet Ed (ten toes). Such a good person. It’s such a shame we lost him

8. walkingtheplank

walkingtheplank Active Member

Aug 2, 2004
    wherever i am
    yup - i was around for the very tail end of that BBS era before they switched to a forum platform during fall of '04. Ed was one of my favorite people in this whole community. we'd talk on the phone for hours covering all kinds of topics. chris a was another good dude who even put me up for about a week during my CA surf tour in '09 (more like put up w/me). i also remember meeting Al in SC w/Ed & a couple of other 38th St. regulars. those were the days...

edit: one of the nicest things anyone ever did was when i first arrived to Pacifica in '05. Andrew (Surfore) picked me up, & we drove to Linda Mar. he then proceeded to lend me a really long (like 10') Hunt Customs to surf with. that was an amazing gesture...hopefully I thanked him afterwards! if not, long belated thx to you Andrew - it really set the tone for how generous our forum really is

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  9. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    The "Irish guy" is Paudi, still surfing and living in Ireland. BOSS is still in Texas, as are Sterling and Miles;Little Al is living in Washington, Benny is still in Oakland, lost track of Lonedog (although his brother Chris might still be hanging around the forum), Just posted this one on another thread. Good to hear from you Graham -

sano shirt 2006.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    PeakMaster and Chilly Willy like this.
  10. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Here are a couple of more. The 2009 shirt was designed by Gene -
    2005 sano shirt.jpeg 2009 sano shirt.jpeg