Hilbers Stoke

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
I once had PHD's proto L-Spoon that Brian had shaped for scan in anticipation of Kirk offering longer boards than the 7'11 limit that Greg's shed had out of HI. Was magic. A more pronounced step deck than my current spoon. knifey rails. A friend took one wave on it and begged me to sell. Regretfully did. Still gets surfed at Bolsa regularly.

Also had this bizarre lil number for a minute. Interesting too-good-to-be-true story on that one.

VEE BEE

Been chasing the trim I experienced a decade+ ago ever since.
I also had a Hilbers shaped L spoon and sold that to a forum member. Was not nearly as fun as my sos.

longhairhippie

Mar 31, 2011
USA
IMG_7173.jpeg

9.4 & 9.2 SOS. No other board has felt more attached to my feet than the 9.4. Maybe it's the dirty wax.;)

HMRKS

Jan 19, 2021
SouthBay
I also had a Hilbers shaped L spoon and sold that to a forum member. Was not nearly as fun as my sos.
Interesting, how did it differ? From memory, the proto was quite a bit more refined than other spoons I saw both then and now. More extreme rails, decent dome to both deck and bottom. It was actually shaped for the wife of the gentleman I bought it from, so under my 200 lb frame it felt incredibly neutral.

Still, I rode it not too long ago in beachbreak slop and it was much more longboardy than I remembered.

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
Interesting, how did it differ? From memory, the proto was quite a bit more refined than other spoons I saw both then and now. More extreme rails, decent dome to both deck and bottom. It was actually shaped for the wife of the gentleman I bought it from, so under my 200 lb frame it felt incredibly neutral.

Still, I rode it not too long ago in beachbreak slop and it was much more longboardy than I remembered.
Your last sentence pretty much covered it. The new owner loves it as did the owner I bought it from (neither had ridden my sos). However compared to the sos the overall dims were fuller as were the rails. The sos I had was extremely nimble.

heavymetalshop

Nov 29, 2020
VENICE
9B52099F-9267-4B1C-8F52-56E6CF0994D0.jpeg

Two fun ones.

8’4 hot gen (on loan)

see all the various threads and comments about this shape. It’s fun as hell. I love this size for these v-bottoms hull boards.

9’6 super b

Super b is quite the fun all around noserider. Very capable in a variety of conditions. I’ve surfed it at Malibu and Santa Monica beach break. Super fun and easy to ride. I’ve had the best noserides on this shape.

JMAC

Feb 10, 2019
Northern Santa Barbara County
View attachment 43879

Two fun ones.

8’4 hot gen (on loan)

see all the various threads and comments about this shape. It’s fun as hell. I love this size for these v-bottoms hull boards.

9’6 super b

Super b is quite the fun all around noserider. Very capable in a variety of conditions. I’ve surfed it at Malibu and Santa Monica beach break. Super fun and easy to ride. I’ve had the best noserides on this shape.
WTF is wrong with people these days. Was supposed to buy that HotGen from owner. Set a date to pick it up. Checked in the day before to give an approx time and find out where we were meeting. No response. Luckily it wasn’t a dry 4.5 hour drive(one way) to Newport Beach because @NewportLogger held onto a board for me for a few weeks to make it down. Owner finally messaged me here that he lost his phone at Coachella. Repeated messages to figure out a way to still coordinate a pickup haven’t been returned. Now he’s loaning the board out!? Fuck off. Lots of great members on this forum and there are some little bitches.

MeatHeadDeath

Mar 10, 2021
SF Bay Area
Bummer, brutha, but another gem will come along.

WTF is wrong with people these days. Was supposed to buy that HotGen from owner. Set a date to pick it up. Checked in the day before to give an approx time and find out where we were meeting. No response. Luckily it wasn’t a dry 4.5 hour drive(one way) to Newport Beach because @NewportLogger held onto a board for me for a few weeks to make it down. Owner finally messaged me here that he lost his phone at Coachella. Repeated messages to figure out a way to still coordinate a pickup haven’t been returned. Now he’s loaning the board out!? Fuck off. Lots of great members on this forum and there are some little bitches.

jdo2

Sep 12, 2008
Russel Hughes must have been the inspiration for Brian’s Ant. The Ant, Sos and in some ways the L-Spoon are related designs: they have similar rocker, rail and bottom but from what I know the Ant has extra subtle stuff planted into it!

Cool to compare these with Hughes’ highly refined rolled-bottomed, Greenough-finned, transition period longboards in PG’s post below.

1652713625818.png