Hess Surfboards

[email protected]

Dec 18, 2020
North California
Never rode a bigger one, but I used to have his Lola quad model. It was stiff, but for that style of board I didn’t really notice. I’m assuming you’re asking about his build style w/ the wood/cork ply rails and top and bottom veneers?

Yes, they are bullet proof. The previous owner had it for years and it didn’t even have a pressure dent. I had it a couple years and still no pressure dents. I sold it because it was too big for me.id bet it still doesn’t have any pressure dents.

Flip756

Mar 4, 2016
USA North Carolina
That's exactly what I'm looking at. I was figuring it would be pretty stiff especially compared to a traditional poly board. Just hoping it translates to a little more glide and speed.
Figured that might help cutting through chop on those less than perfect days.

jonbiz

Jan 11, 2016
Wilmington NC
Think similar to surftech. When boards are to stiff they slap on the water unless glassy. They are bomb proof. This is not from personal experience. I do love the look and idea of Hess builds.

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
I would be interested in hearing a comparison between the 'full wood' and compsand (EPS+skin) constructions. I think Hess does both, but Jeff at Nine Lights maybe just does the latter (could be wrong?). I rode a compsand quad some years back that felt good under foot, but had more than a few heel dents... maybe the thickness/type of wood plays a part in liveliness/dentability?

There is a chap in Cornwall who makes full wood boards, James Otter. He has a good trade in helping people make their own wood boards too. A few people have said that the boards are heavy to carry but feel surprisingly sprightly to surf, although I think the construction favours certain designs - logs, gliders etc. rather than shorter boards.

JMJackFish

Jul 5, 2016
USA North Carolina
I really like the feel of my 6'6 Nine Lights cork twinzer rocket fish. That board is much different than my 6'10 Hess Moraga. The Hess does get a little chattery on any chop, but has glide and speed to spare. The Nine Lights is next level and has been a gem in the water. The Hess gets dusty, the Nine Lights is in heavy rotation.

bfat

Dec 20, 2018
Brooklyn/Maine
I really like the feel of my 6'6 Nine Lights cork twinzer rocket fish. That board is much different than my 6'10 Hess Moraga. The Hess does get a little chattery on any chop, but has glide and speed to spare. The Nine Lights is next level and has been a gem in the water. The Hess gets dusty, the Nine Lights is in heavy rotation.
Pic of that cork build, please and thank you

SeabassMan

Aug 8, 2019
Bodega Bay
I had a 6-2 twin fish called a "Pacheco" model. It had a lot of rocker compared to a SoCal fish. It was VERY hi-pro. It went insane when I caught waves but I hated the way it paddled. It was too small and rockered for a guy that rides a lot of longer boards. I had admired his mid-lengths on the internet. A glider could be pretty insane if you could get some roundness and belly to make up for the lack of flex. Help smooth the lumps.

I will warn you that I got hit on the side of my head by the rail of my board on a DOH wave. It was the wood and cork version. I thought I was going to die. I thought that I was bleeding from my ears. I still have a moderate cauliflower ear from the experience. No joke, if you get a glider, you should really consider a helmet and see if Danny can round out the points in the nose and tail a bit. His boards are FAST too!