Herniated disc/nerve impingement.

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Patrick Riley, Dec 1, 2019.

1. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    2 neck herniated disc, bone spurs....and a syrinx.(the syrinx is the biggest challenge).
    Pain, numbness and vertigo.
    10 years of hardly surfing.(maybe once every couple months)
    Started with a chiropractor 10yrs ago.
    Then Physical therapy... then doctor of osteopath...then orthopedic surgeon..
    I was told I if do surgery I probably wouldn't surf again.
    Two years ago I met a Reiki healer/chiropractor...she said she could get me surfing again.
    I gave it a shot.
    She was similar to the chiropractor ,but more deep massage type stuff.
    Now have more good days than bad.
    I am about 80% better.
    Life is good.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    spent decades dealing with herniations at L4/L5, choosing instead of fusion surgery to manage the condition through a core conditioning program and PT during the periodic peak episodes which usually drydocked me until over...as I aged, the condition became less and less painful until it was no longer a problem...when I had x-ray workups at 60 for an eventually replaced hip, they revealed L4/L5 had lost all fluid over time and self-fused..not hard to imagine the different decision I would have made regarding fusion surgery if able to rewind the clock

and with the availability of today's advanced techniques and technology, would not hesitate to have surgical intervention for a spinal conditon that warrants it..

3. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    PR,

I hope youre feeling better..
    Sorry for chiming in late..
    But when i worked at Mayo Clinic..we used
    To send patients to 5 Star Therapy..in ponte verda beach..
    Along with the PT at Baptist Beaches...are the best...
    Anyway..hope you heal up...
    And we get to surf when i visit in laws in mayport..

4. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley Active Member

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    Thanks again for all the input. 3 weeks ago I was feeling pretty hopeless but religious physical therapy has started to show positive results in last few weeks. The nerve pain has virtually retread from my arm and centralized to my shoulder and neck. And every day I’m feeling a little better. I told my PT that my goal was to surf by Christmas which is our family trip to PR. I won’t push it but he thinks it’s attainable.

Driftwood and Surfnfish like this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Great news. Glad that you have a good PT person, that really helps, and definitely don't push it. Back in May, two docs in two separate institutions told me that my surfing days were over... baby steps and not just PT in my case, but I can now paddle about as well as ever most days. Keep us posted on how it goes!

6. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley Active Member

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    One of the pain management doctors told me “you should probably stop surfing” in a flustered white-lady-named-Karen-with-a-fly-in-her-salad moment of panic, I blurted out “I want to talk to your manager”

Apparently from the look I got that is not a thing at doctors offices? Anyway, fuck that guy.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. T-Bone

T-Bone Active Member

L4/L5/S1 - issue for over 3yrs now, daily pain w/ impingement now over the last 2 to 3 months. herniation of L5. Facet Blocks, epidurals RF ablation, all no effect. Going to see a new Chiropractor this week about decompression therapy prior to going for a surgical solution.

8. Spence

Spence Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Ventura, CA
    I have dealt with the same issues for a number of years and two things have really helped keep my back stretched out and decompressed.

1. Restorative Yoga
    2. Foundation Training

JMJackFish likes this.
  9. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    As far as alleviating nerve pain and inflammation w/o getting sucked into that horrible world of opiates, the options can include Arnica is a homeopathic gel preparation or tablet that is OTC and widely available to address pain caused by strains, sprains, and arthritis.
    You can also get "Mobic" as a prescription from your doctor to help address inflammation and it is prescription strength similar to Advil or other Ibuprofens.
    You can also look into "Volteran" which is Dichlofenac Sodium a nonsteroidal anitinflammatory known by a number of different names and is a gel available in tubes that is anti inflammatory and absorbed very easily into the tissues providing quick temporary relief. It is particularly useful for knees, shoulders, neck and other areas that arthritis causes swelling & inflammation.

I studied homeopathy for 6 years among other modalities in the effort of reclaiming my life after a horrible car accident back in August of 1990. "Hypericum Perforatum" aka St. John's Wort, is also something you can take that helps with pain and injury to areas rich in sentient nerves.

Wishing you all the best for a complete & speedy recovery.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  10. T-Bone

T-Bone Active Member

thanks for the additional/helpful info. Been lacking/slacking on the foundation training, so I have to pick it up there for sure. Have no experience with Restorative Yoga, but will definitely look into it.