help picking a new surf vehic

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Aug 4, 2017.

1. ClassicRider

ClassicRider Active Member

Sep 22, 2014
    USA Washington
    Yeah flip pacs are like tree forts for adults on wheels, the whole family loves sleeping in it.

2. cheyneskeezer

cheyneskeezer Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    Ya my two year old loved poking his hands thru all my brittle screens

3. Flip756

Flip756 Active Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    This 1985 Ex Mod Defender 110 checks all the boxes, Diesel, 3 Door, 110" wheelbase, Right Hand Drive, Rack, and still sporting the faded military camo paint.

JMJackFish and SeniorGrom like this.
  4. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    You are going to start seeing a ton of these popping up. "Bring a Trailer" and other sites seem to have a veritable plethora of old Defenders and Land Rovers lately. Cool rigs though.

5. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Why are they becoming available in quantity now?

6. Flip756

Flip756 Active Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    They've been available (and selling successfully) for a while, public understanding is just catching up. The BaT market has actually dried up to some degree. Go back and look at all the no sale UK spec trucks if you are bored or have an interest.

Defenders were only available in the US in 93(as a 110" wheel base) 94, 95, and 97 (all 90" wheelbase models). A large part of the recent (last 10 years) growth in popularity is due to the availability of importable Defenders. As has been stated earlier in this thread the US has really stupid import laws on foreign vehicles. It requires the vehicles to be at least 25 years old. In the UK the Defender is basically the equivalent of any domestic truck sold in the US. The Ministry of Defense (MoD) decommissioned a large (if not all) portion of the their Defender fleet adding to the vast amount of importable inventory. The market has slowed down but for a while there was good money to be made buying the UK cars, sprucing it up minimally and selling for a premium to a market that only has access to the Wrangler as a competitor. The Ex MoD vehicles were cheaper than UK civilian trucks, were typically better maintained mechanically, and came with various upgrades in terms of axles, suspension, and drive train components.

Fast forward to 3-4 years ago and the UK market begins to get wise to the profit potential involved with selling the vehicles here. The prices start to creep up overseas, more sketchy re sellers get involved and now you really need to educate yourself or deal with a reputable seller. The UK market cars are extremely prone to rust which is quite commonly poorly repaired and hidden with Waxoyl or some other similar sealant product.

PeakMaster likes this.
  7. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    I knew I just didn't know why.... ;)

8. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    The ones on BaT are stupid expensive.I see two near me. They are toys that get parked during the week and driven on summer weekends.

9. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    VW Type 20 EV concept !!

[​IMG]

DJR, hankster, NCJohn and 3 others like this.
  10. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    this fall, Ford will start offering their 2020 model Transit vans with an AWD option without jacking up the ride height...looking forward to checking them out

Flip756, hankster and Croweater like this.