help picking a new surf vehic

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    The oil burn issue is more fairy tail then reality. 3 Subaru’s one I sold to a friend is close to 300k miles my 2010 Forester close to 100 K miles no problems. My old Forester I drove to 125K miles. No problems. Nobody I know that drives Subaru’s has had problems. Best car I have ever owned.

2. thomas

thomas Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    Good to hear...I'm just gonna keep an eye on mine, see how she does...

3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    You are not correct. The oil consumption and cold start piston clatter is well known. You may know many people who own high mileage Subarus with no issues. I also know several Subaru Service Managers who work with customers to document their consumption and get factory authorization to replace pistons and rings. Class action law suits too come about based on sheer numbers. Great vehicle, there have been issues.

Surfnfish likes this.
  4. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I worked For Subaru. In sales about 10 years ago. I was living in Utah at that time. Lots and lots of Snow in Northren Utah. Go to any mountain States or Northwest You will see a lot of Subarus Lots of very high mileage Subarus on the Highways. Talked to plenty of very happy Subaru drivers.
    If things were so bad how is it that Subaru has one of the highest resale values? As I said mostly myths.

5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I’m not interested in starting an argument. Subaru is an incredible brand with highest rating in many categories (my son has owned 2) and impressive sales in mountainous states and across the country. I spent my 40 career in the automotive business where the rubber meets the road, service. I also helped customers resolve repair issues with most all brands in both wolesale and retail positions. There is no myth here. Sales is one thing service another. Do a simple search ‘subaru oil consumption’. Why would the factory engineers have a plan in place to help customers by replacing pistons and rings? Certainly not based on irritating conjecture. The incidence may not be high but.

I might sound negative but I also feel Subaru is one of the best vehicles you can buy. A little pricey but well worth the investment in safety, quality, and resale value.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    PeakMaster likes this.
  6. jdogger

jdogger Active Member

Apr 4, 2006
    USA California
    I've owned 4 Subarus since 2001 and put high mileage on all of them. I never had any problems with oil consumption and I never blew a head gasket. My sister bought one on my recommendation and blew a head gasket at 95k.

7. Wyro

Wyro New Member

May 3, 2015
    I’ve owned one Toyota since 2001.. They work, I just wish they would bring back the hi ace

8. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Or the Hi-Lux or T100

9. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Senior Grom has explained in great detail his experience in the field as a career professional. Others have responded with anecdotal tales and stupid personal experience. Believe what you will, there are better vehicles out there than Subarus.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    nedsurf and Dawnpatrol like this.
  10. joeblackuz

joeblackuz Active Member

Apr 15, 2005
    My buddy had a crosstrek he bought used with 23k miles with an extended warranty. Was ALWAYS in the shop. They drove cross country had to fly home from new mexico because the car broke down again. Subaru ended up buying they car from them for what they paid. It was just a lemon. No one has a 100% record of no issues.