hawaiian lifeguards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by unforgiven, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Silk123

Silk123 Active Member

Feb 11, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    i heard (from another forum a while back so take it for what it is) that the kid was bipolar and off of his medication. that could explain some of his actions, doesnt excuse them though.

2. aslbuck

aslbuck Member

Jan 29, 2005
    IN A WORD: NO.

Drumhead Buddha wrote:

3. matteogeer

matteogeer New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    I spent most of June in Hawaii. It was perfect. The waves were great, the food fantastic, and the spirit in the water was filled with aloha. I'd move there in a second if I could afford the living costs.

The one place I didn't spend much time at was the North Shore of Oahu -- no swell when we were there. So, a couple of weeks after I got back, I opened up the video of the "Hawaiian Beatdown" at Pipeline.

I've read most of the messages concerning the video, and I have to say that I'm a little surprised to see such a violent split in the people's opinions, however I do live in Venice Beach, where different is good, so maybe I'm missing part of the picture. It seems pretty clear to me that:

A) The kid from Texas, who refused to get out the water, was an idiot.

B) Kala Alexander, head Enforcer of the Wolfpack crew and Beatdown king, was also an idiot.

Yet, even though they were both idiots that day, they both were very lucky, ironically for the exact same reason. If Kala had hit Texas Boy just wrong on the beach, he could have easily knocked him unconscious, fractured his orbital socket around an eye, broke his jaw, or just permanently scrambled his brains. In a nano-second, both of their lives would have been ruined. Kala goes to jail for who knows how long, and Texas Boy is never the same.

So lay the blame on the individuals, not on some kind of Holy locals vs. interlopers war.

Back to the boys.

First, the Texas Boy. He's not some heroic figure standing up to the mighty Wolfpack Crew, representing all the oppressed surfers who wish they too could be out at Pipe with no one else in the water. He undoubtably knew that there was a contest going on and basically said "F--k it, I'm going out anyway." His throwing the first punch wasn't the smartest of plans. It shouldn't matter that he was off his meds or bipolar -- he was wrong to be in the water, wrong to throw a punch, and wrong to paddle back out.

Almost anyone who surfs at a decent spot has run into times when their "personal" break is closed for a contest. Whether it's Malibu, Old Mans, Pipe, Mundaka, or Cape Hatteras, it happens. When a contest is running, you stay out of the contest area, go surf in a different spot, or sit on the beach and enjoy the show. And it doesn't matter that you've traveled across a big pile of ocean to get there; it's like dropping in on somebody, snaking them. Don't do it. The contest is on, get out of the water.

And Kala.....Kala wasn't even in the water that day. He wasn't in the competition. He wasn't even an active part of the water patrol for the contest. So what was he doing? He was doing what he thought was his job: Enforcer of Pipe. Now, since his title is basically self-proclaimed, he doesn't really have any legal grounds to act as the scary cop of the North Shore. But, since his crew is there at the Volcom House and since Pipe seemingly needs some kind of hall monitors to make it safe, Kala has been given a certain amount of lattitude to "police" the area. Some would call that localism by proxy; I don't know what I'd call it, but it's a situation that certainly seems fraught with potential for Middle School level acts of machismo, which from my memory isn't the best level to aspire to.

But that obviously doesn't give him a "pass" to beat the sh-t out of the Texas kid. What made the video worse for me was that there were so many people standing by, egging Kala on, shooting video, taking photos, laughing, etc. The whole thing had the feeling of some kind of backstreet circus show.

I'm sure the reason Kala wasn't charged with anything had nothing to do with racisim, favortism, or localism (as this thread lead with). I think the real reason is simple: at the completion of the "Hawaiian Beatdown," the cruiser-weight from Texas gets up.That's it. He gets up.

If he stays down, is badly hurt, well, that's a different story. Kala gets no more magazine covers, there's no funny Google video, no Volcom house. The Wolfpak moves on, and Kala re-visits the Big House for an extended period of time.

At the end of the day Kala got lucky -- the kid from Texas could take a punch. Or more like twenty-five punches. After the Beatdown, the boy from Texas yells a couple of things, then walks away. His wounds (swollen face, cut lips) seem more cosmetic than permanent, which is amazing considering how many times he was hit. At the end of the video we see him sitting on the beach, as if nothing happened, if you can ignore his face and his broken board.

[Quick side note: I have been a lifeguard. I called the cops more than once. One day when I was working, a kid came up to me with an awkward look on his face. I asked him what was wrong. In answer he turned his back to me. Sticking out of it was the broken-off neck of a soda bottle with a stream of blood running down his skin. Guess who I called? Even at Pipe I bet you they can get a cop to drive over.]

You would think that Kala, the proud father of four who has already spent a chunk of time in jail previously for breaking someone's face, might be a little more careful about letting himself "lose it." I'm sure that Kala would say that he was caught up in that mind-numbing "heat of the moment," that his internal emotional thermometer red-lined to the point that that was the only color he could see -- i.e., he couldn't help himself. Beyond that in his own mind he was doing the honorable: backing up his boy Kainoa, protecting the sanctity of Pipe, teaching the Texas Boy the true meaning of the word Beatdown. Those excuses play great on the basketball court, at the track, on the pitch, or on the diamond ("No harm, no foul"), that is, until you hurt somebody.

And, then, in the ocean or on land, there is justice, and you pay a considerable price.

In conclusion: Hawaii is one of the most magical places on earth. I can't wait to go back. Next time I'll surf the Big Island. Oh, yeah -- don't be an idiot whereever you may surf. Think of the King of Pipe, Gerry Lopez. What would Gerry do? He seems to be one of the humblest, most serene dudes on the planet, and I'll bet the only thing he thought of when he saw this video was, Man, that's sad. Really sad.

4. guayule

guayule New Member

May 14, 2006
    aslbuck wrote:
    He can be compared to Chicksalve for his relentlessness

5. Silk123

Silk123 Active Member

Feb 11, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    he might not have even known what he was doing. and when confronted, he flipped out and started the fight.

i've seen one of the nicest people turn into a complete asshole who would yell at his kids and wife when his blood sugar got low due to diabetes. turned into a completely different person and wouldnt remember doing it. and to some extent, it wasnt his fault cause it could be difficult to control.

but with all that said, each person, no matter what the illness, is ultimately responsible for his/her actions. just in some cases, these people with the illnesses or handicaps deserve a little leeway from the rest of us.

6. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    well said mateogeer.

7. wanderer

wanderer Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA Texas
    unforgiven wrote:
    Yeah, but I can't seem to say "matteogeer". I 've been wondering, how do we say that name? Is it actually pronounceable?

Perhaps it goes "matt-tay-oh-gear". Or it could be "mate-oh-jeer". Or ...

It has me stumped.

8. Saltydog

Saltydog Member

Feb 13, 2006
    USA Texas
    Yes, well said Mattogeer.

Kala Alexander is a felon and gang leader.

In my opinion, that is not the image of a surfer/surfing I want my kids to emulate .

So I looked up Mr. Alexanders website, found the list of his (so called) sponsers , contacted the companys whose product I use or have used and notified them that would no longer be the case becauase of Mr. Alexanders behavior. These companys are, Lost Enterprises, Da Kine and Bodyglove. There are several other sponsers, but I decided just to contact those whom I had actually spent dollars on.

Mr. Mike Reola from Lost responded to tell me that he and Kala are friends. That my complaint was the second in as many years concering Kala. That Kala HAS gotten into fights with people who "step into the ring". Mr. Reola has seen 5 tapes of people calling Kala out and attacking him. Then "when they are laying there 2 seconds later unconscious they start to cry foul. I have seen it firsthand". OH, and there was also this, "he has not been in a real altercation for awhile now.The last one was from some meathead out at Pipe who mouthed off and threatened what he thought was a skinny little hawaiian. It happened to be Kala. Today Kala would back away from this because of everyone is out now just to get him to hit first and then press charges".

Scott Daley from Bodyglove responded that "Kala is not on our payroll or under any contractual arrangement with Bodyglove International". He stated that since Kala stays at the Volcom house along with Bruce Irons, that he may be picking up on Bruces wetsuit inventory or one of Bodygloves reps may know him. Mr. Alexander claims Bodyglove as a sponser on his website under"SPONSERS". Guess SOMEONE is mistaken.

Da Kine has not sent a reply as of yet

9. Saltydog

Saltydog Member

Feb 13, 2006
    USA Texas
    Oh, WHO THE HECK IS THAT KID IN THE VIDEO, ANYONE KNOW HIM?

10. wanderer

wanderer Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA Texas
    Saltydog wrote:
    Nice. A proper response.