Has anyone tried the $200 Greenough Power Blade fin?

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
I recall reading that the shaft is made to be stif while the blade is flexible Kind of like a rudder on a boat. When you turn the blade turns with you.
Never tried one but I do have the Greenough stage six. Used it in my 8’6” Bruce Flowler Platapus Lots of drive out of bottom turns.

surfore

Mar 2, 2004
USA California
Why all the hype and high price point when you look at the plan shape and the materials. Is that fin harder to make than a cutaway fin or one of Guy T’s Manta fins? G10. Volan. Etc... It’s really about the foil more so than the material. Though good for them - what fins should cost.

Jim made a custom wood fin for a furniture builder. Spec’d to his materials request as well as length, rake and base length. It took two-ish months with his heart attack and the demand for boards to finish it. Guy filed a claim with PP that it took too long and wanted his money back.

Attached are a few fins from the late 90’s by FU and TA. $45 a fin (then...not for sale). What is that odd looking fin on the right...could barely give them away back then.

Attachments

• 932F5E18-2E1D-41EB-BF56-C438D6E10FDE.jpeg
    932F5E18-2E1D-41EB-BF56-C438D6E10FDE.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

808bmx

Apr 20, 2009
USA Hawaii
Terry, Marc A recommends power blade fins on edgboard set ups. Had one on my Leenough edgebard and it worked incredibly well! Tons of drive and speed and no loss of speed in my turns. Might be a good idea to borrow one and see how it works on your board before dropping coin on one. Ask Mark S to borrow...he has my board. Good luck!

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
I recall reading that the shaft is made to be stif while the blade is flexible Kind of like a rudder on a boat. When you turn the blade turns with you.
Never tried one but I do have the Greenough stage six. Used it in my 8’6” Bruce Flowler Platapus Lots of drive out of bottom turns.
Yes, unidirectional (base to tip) layup, apparently.

justsomedude

Feb 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Why all the hype and high price point when you look at the plan shape and the materials. Is that fin harder to make than a cutaway fin or one of Guy T’s Manta fins? G10. Volan. Etc... It’s really about the foil more so than the material. Though good for them - what fins should cost.

Jim made a custom wood fin for a furniture builder. Spec’d to his materials request as well as length, rake and base length. It took two-ish months with his heart attack and the demand for boards to finish it. Guy filed a claim with PP that it took too long and wanted his money back.

Attached are a few fins from the late 90’s by FU and TA. $45 a fin (then...not for sale). What is that odd looking fin on the right...could barely give them away back then.
I don't know if the fin is actually harder to make, but the uni-directional cloth may add more time and it's also made in the USA. There is quite a bit more flex from side to side from what I've seen in videos, like a rudder. I don't own one, but others who do can verify.

https://www.andreinisurfboards.com/power-blade/

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
I don't know if the fin is actually harder to make, but the uni-directional cloth may add more time and it's also made in the USA. There is quite a bit more flex from side to side from what I've seen in videos, like a rudder. I don't own one, but others who do can verify.

https://www.andreinisurfboards.com/power-blade/
Correct. The base / stem is stiff, head alone flexes left and right.

Members online