Has anyone shipped Amtrak from CA to FL?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Jimflorida, Sep 14, 2019.

1. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    I shipped a couple from LA to Oldskool in Florida, no problems at all, forgot which station they went to, they were shortboards though

2. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Check "Silver Service/Palmetto".

Always best to CALL the Toll Free and ask them for the closest station accepting Express Shipping.
    https://www.amtrak.com/routes.html

3. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Here's an example of stuff that can happening when dealing with Amtrak. No biggie really but I dropped a Demo board I had sold to a customer that rode his friend's BF New Machine in NY. (I send a LOT of boards to NYC & Long Island).

He asked if I had an extra 6'6" and I told him I had a near new Demo up at a shop in SLO.
    He pulled the trigger and I went up and grabbed it. Packed her up my usual method then he gave me the green light to put her on the train when he was planning a trip to downtown Los Angeles near Union Station.

I took the board yesterday afternoon figuring I could get it on the 4:40 or it might go on one of two more trains (they run 7 south to L.A. per day) that runs later. Told him "I'll do my usual deal & take a pic of the complete Amtrak Waybill then text/email it to you so you have proof when they call you to pick up.

I make a habit of getting to the station @ least and hour or more before any train is arriving or leaving. They appreciate me coming during their "down time'. Turns out Amtrak was putting all their southbound passengers on buses due to "track repairs". I was told 'we aren't doing any Express Shipping until tomorrow evening, track repairs, board will go out tomorrow at 6 PM".

Bottom line, Amtrak is a great deal, but be prepared for things to come up once in awhile. They also have a limit of 500 lbs. max for Express Shipping and one day someone that was moving beat me to the punch by having a shitload of small boxes they were sending via Amtrak. They don't hold the board til the next day, so I had to turn around, go home to Solvang, and do the run the next day.

4. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Just do it Jim. If your seller packs like Bruce, it is a no-brainer.

5. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Epilogue: Joe, was p/u the 6'6'" Demo emailed before noon saying "got it, it's awesome!"

I replied huh? Wasn't s'posed to leave SB til 6 PM.

Guess they got repairs done and it was put on a morning train.

That's Amtrak for you. I like all the people and customers at the other end have said the same thing when picking up.

6. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Active Member

Anyone in Santa Barbara have a decent and cheap enough bag collecting dust so I can Amtrak a 6'9 twin keel (glass ons) to Prov? Thanks for any help.

Bruce,
    Curious about your post "They do NOT take boards in boxes". When I spoke with the agent I was told boxes were fine. The Amtraking I've done has all been in bags, but with glass on twin keels a box may be a better option.

Last board I shipped Amtrak recently here on East Coast was in a bag (twinzer with glass ons). The fins survived fine thankfully but it was the first time a board suffered rail shatters despite pipe insulation on the rails.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  7. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    They don’t like boxes especially on large boards because they are hard to carry without hand holes.

8. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Guess it depends on who you talk to. Case in point, I had two boards in a boar bag and was told they would not let me do that.

I had brought an additional bag out in the car just in case. While I was out there getting it, one of the other employees said "Bruce, she didn't realize you are a manufacturer shipping to a customer, two in one bag is fine".

Yeah, glass ons could be an issue unless you lock them into position with foam of equivalent to keep any lateral movement from happening.