Has anyone shipped Amtrak from CA to FL?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Jimflorida, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Jimflorida

Jimflorida Member

Sep 18, 2017
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Am wondering about shipping from CA to around Cocoa (probably have to pick-up at the Orlando Amtrak station). Anyone have any experience doing this?

Thunder Chicken likes this.
  2. JMAC

JMAC Member

I purchased a board from someone in Daytona and they had to take to Deltona to ship. Takes about 3 days to ship. Amtrak is pretty quick and I’ve had pretty good luck and damage only once. About $100 cross country.

Boards have to be under 10 ft and even if going in a board back I would recommend bubble wrapping or cardboard nose and tail at the very least

3. Jimflorida

Jimflorida Member

Sep 18, 2017
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Thanks. It’s a 10’ footer. I imagine i’ll have to check with the station on the sending end in CA to see if they’ll take it.

4. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Yes..
    In 2013..
    I had my buddy ship me my 8.0 fineline microant III hull..from santa cruz(santa jose ...station) ..to jax, fl..no problem..
    And last year..i shipped an 8.0 liddle nibt hull to mcquad to worries..
    I have shipped up and down the east and west coasts...and up down the state when i was in florida...especially to downsouthslida...never a problem..

He and i started this in 2006/7...when i was sc,ca...he was in jupiter ,fl...we exchanged boards via amtrak..i love it..
    In fact that is how i get my fowlers...bruce ships from santa barbara to san jose..all the time..
    Go for it..you will love it!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  5. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    There is a size limit at all stations south of union station in LA. Don’t remember what it is exactly, but it’s less than 10 feet.

DanSan likes this.
  6. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    I believe 8.6 is the max...i heard from a gal at the SJ station..when i inquired..but dont quote me..

7. McQuad

McQuad Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Fernandina beach
    Sub 8’ south of Union. They are serious now

8. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    I've shipped east quite a bit this year (as well as north to Dan and others). East Coast from Santa Barbara is $105 to ANY of the East Coast Amtrak's participating in the Express Shipping Program. The "total length" cannot exceed 120".

As far as south of Los Angeles Union Station, I talked to the Amtrak agents in SB and told them the Amtrak agents at the 1-800 377-6914 number told me they won't send a board past L.A. Union Station over 7 ft. However, since I've been in SB shipping out as much as 4x in a week, the agents have gotten to know me and said "that's because of the train sizes baggage areas, but we would do it for you and just put it on the bigger train". I said "would it get past L.A."?
    And they said yes, because that train goes straight thru all the way to San Diego."

So it's a bit of who you are talking to. However, the constant is the $105 to East Coast, 120" max, and insurance at $1/$100 up to 2K. To Manhattan, Newark & Boston/(furthest N.E.) . 4 or 5 days. Miami 4 days, and pretty much the same for Philly, Wilmington (both states), and thereabouts.

While I'm at it, $65 to SJ, Oakland (not airport), SB to Union L.A., Anaheim, Oceanside, San Diego. $85 from SB to Portland, Seattle, and San Antonio TX.

Hope this helps anyone referring to Amtrak's program. Important note: They do NOT take boards in boxes (I love this)....... I bubble wrap all mine then put them in bags that my customers get @ my cost. DO NOT MARK "FRAGILE" ON IT, THEY WILL REJECT IT.

Bottom line, I've had a couple get very minor shatters out of the last 25. They travel as "Baggage" not freight, but beware that they can be stored upright on end so you need to really pack the nose, tail, (and rails) really well to avoid the unthinkable.

DanSan likes this.
  9. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Thanks ..bruce..appreciate it.
    The board..the bubble ..the bag..and the fact
    It gets here in a day..like if bruce ships it in the morning..it gets here by 8..9pm..
    Only thing is you ship or pick o ly between 11a-7p...
    Thus next day pick up...but that is more a statement..than a quibble..
    And since the sj station is 10-15 minutes away from my college...
    Very easy lunch time pick up..plus it is a cool old station..
    Good workers...safe..clean...place..

10. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    You are welcome.
    One other mention. Amtrak will call you to alert you that your surfboard has arrived. From that time you have 48 hrs. to p/u b4 they put it into secured storage @ $10/day.

When I drop them, they provide an Amtrak "Waybill". This is the receipt and info of who is receiving the board. I take a foto of the Waybill and text or email it to the recipient. They need proof of the image or copy to present when picking up their board. I love not having to "pack for WW3" and dealing with clumsy surfboard shipping boxes!

Artz and DanSan like this.