Has anyone ever done a Work Holiday Visa in Australia?

JMAC

Feb 10, 2019
Northern Santa Barbara County
Man takes me back down memory lane. In 2005 a buddy worked his butt of for 8 months and took off on around the world surf trip. I wanted to follow in his footsteps but needed to raise some cash and job I started turned into a career. I still did some pretty reckless traveling and surfing. I always missed home after a few weeks anyways. I say go for it if that’s what you want to do. Career can wait another year

thirdwave

Mar 17, 2021
Los Angeles
Do it! I had a friend who lived in NZ for a year on that visa working seasonally for vineyards. Seems like a fun gig and a good place to meet other travelers and maybe surfers.

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
I lived in Oz on a work Visa in 1998, flanked by 2 months in Indo each side. I guess things have changed a lot in terms of Visa conditions, so I can't really offer any advice there... best check the most recent info on Oz govt website.

I was lucky enough to have a long vacation (1 month) there recently just before the pandemic hit in 2020. Living costs have gone up, but so have wages. There are still loads of waves, loads of people of surfing, loads of sunshine, loads of things that are unnecessarily venomous, but you can still get off the beaten track and quite literally live and surf alone if you wish to.

I saw a news article recently that someone successfully challenged the 'backpacker' income tax that applied to those on working visas, which is good news too

Other than the above, it's a really a personal choice how you want to work and travel around, but I will say that if you hold a trade skill of any sort, you will be living well and allow enough time to actually 'travel' as distances are big (maybe not so big if you are used to US distances, but for a Pommie like me, it was an eye-opener)

People very rarely regret travel, in my experience. I doubt that you would either.

seabird

Mar 24, 2021
Hmm
Seabird - My advice is to make it work & GO.

We rarely regret the things we tried and ended up working out differently than we envisioned.
But we often regret the things we didn’t try/give it a shot.
I think that is excellent advice. Inspiring for sure.

seabird

Mar 24, 2021
Hmm
I lived in Oz on a work Visa in 1998, flanked by 2 months in Indo each side. I guess things have changed a lot in terms of Visa conditions, so I can't really offer any advice there... best check the most recent info on Oz govt website.

I was lucky enough to have a long vacation (1 month) there recently just before the pandemic hit in 2020. Living costs have gone up, but so have wages. There are still loads of waves, loads of people of surfing, loads of sunshine, loads of things that are unnecessarily venomous, but you can still get off the beaten track and quite literally live and surf alone if you wish to.

I saw a news article recently that someone successfully challenged the 'backpacker' income tax that applied to those on working visas, which is good news too

Other than the above, it's a really a personal choice how you want to work and travel around, but I will say that if you hold a trade skill of any sort, you will be living well and allow enough time to actually 'travel' as distances are big (maybe not so big if you are used to US distances, but for a Pommie like me, it was an eye-opener)

People very rarely regret travel, in my experience. I doubt that you would either.
Thanks a lot for the story and the insight. 2 months in Indo on either side of your trip is beyond wild- must have been life changing. I love the last bit there too- it definitely is a personal choice that only myself can truly figure out. But I do agree that travel, and scoring, is usually not a source of regret.

shredsickgnar

Aug 7, 2021
Canada
Do what ever it takes and make it happen. I'm locked down with two kids and 3 dogs now. I had the opportunity to do something like this and didnt' make it happen. I definitely regret it. I'm at least in a good situation where I have a flexible job and regularly surf but I missed the chance to really travel. Also never get 3 dogs. 1 is great, 2 is pushing it, 3 is a hard no.

PaulJensen

Feb 16, 2004
Washington State - USA
In 2012 I was invited by a friend who hosted one of my wood board building workshops to farm-sit his avocado / citrus farm for three months while they went to India... I went, and found day job work hand painting a mud brick home for an affluent family in NSW... The painting job took two months... I was paid $50 hr, wire transferred to my bank in the USA each week ... No work visa, totally off the record... It worked out fine, nobody turned me in and I was offered much more work with the family I worked for... It was an amazing experience, but I felt vulnerable being an illegal alien working ...

Link to: Australia 2012 Trip Report