HAGTOBERFEST Surf Rumble

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by The Sea Hag, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Drumhead Buddha

Drumhead Buddha New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    Nepal
    richard tator wrote:
    tator,

U WERE THE GOOD TIME!

2. enchilladas

enchilladas New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    USA
    Drumhead Buddha wrote:
    amen to dat! you should have been in the van on the way home... good times:cool:

3. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Oct 19, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    No one is saying we didn't want t come hang out and see all you guys, but those waves should never be used for a contest. We could have all donated money, ate, drank, and had fun and surfed for fun. & people per heat fighting for a wave that is overhead when you are paddling is not a good time for a contest. Yes it was fun hanging out, but it was a contest, and there was no waves. Some of the Hags are getting mad b/c we said negative thigns about a contest in nowaves, but we didn't bad mouth you or the day, it was just the waves. We would donate the money and hang out anytime, but all surfing that day should have been for fun, and nothing else. I would have jumped in with everyone for a little, but 7 man heats in less then a foot of water, and less then knee high waves is not really a contest. It was a good day overall,an a great time to see everyone, but this was not a contest. I hope next time we get better waves. That just makes the great times of hanging out and seeing you all even better. Seeing the skill and style of all the surfers that are there. Great to see the Hags, OLC, and all the other guys, maybe next time we will actually get to surf and have some good waves.

4. Cecil

Cecil Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Stretch wrote:
    That's what we did.

5. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Stretch wrote:
    Good call Stretch. I would consider participating in such an event, even though I'm not a huge fan of contests...but no matter what the event...some swell would be an important factor. The Atlantic does not get much flatter then what MB's pictures indicated. Contest is not the word for that.

6. njrider

njrider Active Member

Jan 18, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    I was at the contest as well...I too was on a team that didn't do that well. I just have 2 quick points that I see as an outsider reading both sides:

1-If you had a problem with the contest being held in such small surf, you should have either gone home or went to the guys running the contest with a solution rather than just a complaint. As far as I saw, nobody did. Bitchin and moaning after the contest or under your breath the day of it doesn't help to solve anything.

2-There were no magazines or film crews covering the contest, there are no yearly point totals like the ESA or ASP contests to worry about. It was a fun contest called Hagtoberfest where the trophy was a hand painted golden elk (way cool trophy by the way) that was purchased at Wal Mart and sprayed gold. IT WAS FOR FUN.

Although the surf was small, it was much worse on Sunday and the heat waves were better than the photos which were taken closer to high tide. I thought the conditions were small but definately rideable. Some of the better longboarders made it work. I saw some good noserides and a quick hang heels. I could have left, but chose to stay and really had a good time.

Hopefully next contest we have better surf...in the mean time I'm going to work on my cross stepping and Hope to do better. We should all just see it for what it was, a fun day with small but rideable conditions that was either going to be run that day or be cancelled and never held.

Just my opinion and stay stoked, better waves are coming.

Eric

7. enchilladas

enchilladas New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    USA
    It was definitely ridable. Fun too. Conditions like those bring out the best in all of us. I saw smokey get some UNREAL noserides on waves that one would think were un-noseridable. Stop bitchen people!!!!!!!!

8. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Oct 19, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    i had no problem with where we finished in the contest. that is not the point. and i agree, had we thought to throw these ideas out there before hand it may have helped, but its over now. I was just stating my opinion as does everyone on here. as for the unreal nose rides, I saw some good ones too, but good for what the conditions were. I would have loved to see how great they would have been on real waves. all in all, it was a fun day with good people, just thought there should have been a no wave date. you guys all make it worth hanging out, so we would have stayed anyway. like i said, i didn't mind donating the money or hanging out. I just think a no wave date should be in place for every contest.

its over and done with. let's hope for surf and all look forward to the next contest or time we get to hang out. you are all a great group.

9. Cecil

Cecil Member

Oct 20, 2006
    This is my absolute last post on the subject, just so the HagFest ends with a positive vibe for all.

Eric hit the nail on the head. If the contest was not held it would have been canceled. The trophies, jacket, format, cider, pumpkin were always in place to represent the anti-contest. No magazines, money, or point totals to worry about when it's over. The only person that should be worried is Enchilladas, and that would be about the girls that he has to fend off wearing that sharp looking jacket around the O.C.. If we could have planned it to go perfectly we would have loved better waves.

In regards to a no contest date, we are always open for suggestions. If we want to make a Triple Crown, and make the contests a little more serious in terms of the waves and point scores, we will cordon off the month of October and make it a Thursday or Friday call so everyone has enough notice. Our only concern is for the people who would not be able to make it if it were on certain dates. Many of us have wives, kids, two or three jobs, and might find it hard to keep all of those Saturday's free. Not to mention the teams that have to travel on top of other committments. I guess the three teams in the mix right now are the OLC, Loggers, and Hags (not to say that all teams aren't welcome to all contests) so the topic will be open for discussion.

Once again, thanks to everyone for coming.

HAGS

10. richard tator

richard tator New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    My 2 cents....

Ive seen pro contests run in SMALLER waves.....

As soon as you get "serious" about it the fun factor will be lost....

Need a larger explosive device.... "3 cents"

Later, Tator........